Thursday, March 26, 2009

Waiting On You

WARNING: This is long.

I have this book called "What Animal Are You?". I love it and find it to be a pretty entertaining small gathering kind of conversation booster. Basically you take a quiz and based on your responses you are best paired with an animal in the animal kingdom and then told about the dominant traits both you and it possess. Although mostly comical and silly I find it to be quite accurate when taken by one who knows himself well.

There is a question near the end that always creates quite a stir among the answering individuals. It goes like this:
Which of the following is most important for every child to know?
a. Our imagination is like baby powder: You may not need it to live, but if feels really good when you put it on.
b. You have to be willing to defend yourself if trouble comes your way.
c. Stuffed animals are fun to cuddle with but sometimes you should put them in the washing machine.
d. You should try to cultivate a group of friends to spend time with.
e. More than anything, you should always act according to your best interests.
f. Never let yourself become lazy.
Something about a legacy with your children sparks passion in the testing individuals.

Travis and I have both taken this quiz and were surprised when we both answered this question similarly without much doubt. Any guesses to what we both felt passionately about. Well the answer lies in option f. Often our friends are horrified at that being our lasting lesson to our children but our minds remain unchanged. And so it is we have our kids age 1,3,5, and 7 working hard. Travis believes kids are like a free work force. I'm not quite there but I truly believe in the value of hard work and learning to work. So all the kids have daily chores, weekly chores, and are expected to help out on anything they are asked to do. They unload, and load the dishwasher, empty the trash, put away their own folded laundry, make their beds, clear their plates and silverware after every meal, clean their rooms, dust, vacuum, etc...Really if they are physically able they are probably doing it.

I honestly feel blessed and lucky to have such obedient and willing participants in my parenting experiment in my kids. They are amazing and astound me. Especially Kody who at eighteen months lately has become obsessed with helping and always puts away his own plate. But yesterday I was downright floored by these boys.
My mom recently had back surgery and so I have been going over to York most days first thing in the morning and coming back in time to pick Bella up from the bus stop. We leave our house shortly after 8 when the boys wake up. Each morning I have packed them a bag with cereal to eat on the way over, toast with their preferred topping, or some other kind of breakfast on the go food. Yesterday I didn't have to pick Bella up from the bus stop and so was not feeling quite as rushed. After she left for school at 7:15 instead of scurrying around to get ready I jumped back in bed to relax knowing I had more time to spend at my mom's house in the afternoon.

At a couple of minutes after 8 the boys walked into my room. Apparently I had dozed off. They were up, dressed, beds made, Wyatt had prepared cereal bags, Issac had gotten Kody out of the crib and undressed from his pajamas and started on redressing him, Wyatt had helped Issac get his shoes and socks on. There stood Wyatt and Issac totally ready telling me that the baby wouldn't cooperate any longer but was close to ready. "We're ready and waiting on you" were the words Wyatt said as he entered my room. They had done everything they could, more than their share, and willingly.

(f) may not be a popular choice but it pays itself off in its parenting dividends. In that moment my heart was filled with joy because these kids were being the kind of people I really want them to be when they become older. Always willing to help, proactive in their approach toward life, and hard working. I count myself very lucky to have such amazing kids.

7 comments:

whitney allison said...

That is so crazy that they were so "up and at 'em". That's how I've always understood the phrase to be spelled out...am I wrong? I don't know. One thing's for sure though, you've got good kids.

Stacy said...

I love day's like that, the ones where the kids do what is expected of them before they are asked. love it!!!!

Solviej said...

YOU DO HAVE TRUELY ASTONISHING KIDS BUT I HAVE TO SAY IT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE A TRUELY ASTONISHING PARENT AND I REALLY SHOULD GET YOU TO GIVE ME LESSONS IN EXCHANGE I WILL TAKE YOU ON A BUS RIDE;)

John and Jennie Hair said...

That is so great!! You have great kids and I miss having you close so that our kids can learn from each other. YOu are a terrifc mother to teach them all that you do!!

Sommer said...

your kids are soooo good! What a bunch of sweet hearts!

Sommer said...

I actually never really posted anything on Nathan's breathing treatments because it's something that he has been on often off and on. They think he might have some form of asthma because as soon as he gets a cold it goes straight to his lungs and irriatates the small tubes and then he starts wheezing really bad, so he's on it a lot! I can't wait till he's old enough to take an inhaler.

Beckie said...

So sweet and cute. Your kids are really growing up.