Monday, March 2, 2009

"I Hate Sunday" Parade

This post may be offensive; for once I'm not sure I care.

Yesterday as I got ready for church I was pretty excited. I was fasting and praying for something in particular and I was really working on getting myself spiritually prepared to feast upon the words and spirit that would be present.

Shortly after the meeting started three young men came in and sat in the row directly in front of us. Right away I recognized them as investigators all on their own no missionaries in tow. I immediately put my kids on even more strict Sunday behavior so that the men would have the opportunity to hear the words and feel the spirit too.

Part of me wanted to bare my testimony for these unknown men but not being moved upon by the spirit I remained seated. Bella asked to bare her's and I counseled her with the advice that we have received that it should be done when moved upon by the spirit. And so if the spirit was telling her too and it wasn't just her wanting to get up than that was her choice. She ended up going. Her testimony was brief. And several others bore a brief and meaningful testimony.

And then it started, the parade of "I hate Sunday" speeches because I don't know that testimonies were born or if they were that wasn't the primary message received. It started with one mom's whoa's of getting kids ready for church and hating Sundays. I can't help wonder what is so hard about getting kids ready. It's not like our church starts at 8. It starts at 10:30. Most people leave their house around 10. So do they typically not have their kids dressed and ready and playing by 10 on other days. But I digress. And then another mom followed suit, then another, an older women who got up and said she remembered those days and that the "I hate Sunday" club has been around for a long time. Of course I cringed hearing these words from a potential investigators viewpoint. But I digress again...because this blog is about me, my family, my life...

So here is why I love Sundays:
* I have fewer commitments and obligations on this day than any other day of the week so it really is a day of rest.
* I love church, going to church, and people at church.
* I love learning new things, hearing people's opinions, and often feeling the spirit very stongly.
* I love taking the sacrament and renewing my covenants with Heavenly Father.
* And Sunday is the day my husband helps get all the kids ready easing what is typically a task I do on my own every other day.
* And lastly when church is over and naptimes complete I have a whole evening of nothing planned but playing with my kids and usually making yummy treats.

Call me crazy but Sunday just might be in the running for my favorite day of the week.

11 comments:

Stacy said...

I hear you there I love Sundays. It is just a day of rest and Family time :)

Laura Lynn said...

I know what you mean although I was in the mother's lounge and didn't get to hear all of them.
I like how Sunday has an ethereal quality.

You are awesome and I really mean that.

Sommer said...

oh man I couldn't help but cringe with you, it makes me soooo mad when people get up and don't bear a testimony, there is just no excuse for it, they should know better by now. thank you for counting your blessings!

Panda said...

shoot. i cringed as i read this. nate told me sacrament--and sunday school--seemed to have the same theme. awesome. especially for the investigators. can we please print this out for the next relief society newsletter for the kick-in-the-pants reality check it sounds like we all need to hear?

Campbell Family said...

I agree with you. I was worried about those investigators, too. Of all the days to come visit our church they chose Fast Sunday. You just never know what you're going to get with people's testimony's. AND the story of the eaten engagement ring from your last post was on the TODAY show. I happen to watch about 20 min of the show today and saw that story. The couple were there in the studio. Funny, huh!

The Doctors Wife said...

Sunday is my favorite day of the week because I don't have to run errands and feel stressed with the everyday. Sure it is hard getting the kids ready and at church on time especially since I do it by myself most Sundays but it sure beats staying at home.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!

I think I understand what they meant and have even experienced what they were talking about... frustrations on Sunday morning, etc, but always glad you worked thru it and made it to church... but I agree, testimony meeting is not the place to air this.

My first Sunday as a visitor was a testimony meeting and it was a wonderful experience.. brought me to tears. Sadly, the investigators sitting in front of you probably did not have the same experience.

Mindee Graver said...

I agree with you, Love Sundays :) Don't understand the "I hate Sundays" club, luckily we didn't have any of those this past sunday in our ward. Not that hard people...

Beckie said...

I love Sundays too. I am sure there is a time and place to vent about having it rough on Sunday mornings with kids, but testimony meeting just doesn't seem the place. Hopefully the investigators felt the spirit anyway.

OwenEveryone said...

Hey Mary! I think you will find that most people agree with you. I wanted to let you know that I am going to switch my blog over to private. if you send me an email, I will send you an invite..... only if you want one of course!you can email me through facebook with your email address!

We Three Queens said...

Love the entry. I'm truly amazed by your spirit. It inspires me to be a little better every day. Thank you.