Sunday, March 8, 2009

Daylight Savings Kicked My Butt

It's true. I have been waiting for DLS for two weeks. I have been doing a mental countdown. Most people don't care but my kids have been waking up earlier and earlier with the light. And as a person who loves sleeping in and prides herself on kids who reasonably sleep in this slow creep of waking earlier each morning that my boys have been doing was making me frenzied with anticipation for this weekend. I must have told at least a half a dozen people about it this week each time getting merrier and merrier in my wisdom that soon I would be sleeping back in till almost nine.

So it came as a jolting suprise when this morning after getting the bulk of the kids ready for church and fed and Wyatt wanted to play on the computer until it was time to go to church that I booted it up to see it was 9:58, thirteen minutes past the time we normally leave for church. And there I sat in my pj's in a mild state of panic. It took less than a milisecond for it all to kick in and me realize my most daft mistake of not changing the clocks. I ran up the stairs dressing in clothes and flip flops, hair in a pigtail, no makeup (all natural glow) and I ran out the door to pick up a woman we take to church while Travis finished the shoe and sock routine with the kids and packed a church lunch for Issac (10:30 - 1:30 is not the most conducive church time for small kids).

We both raced to church me praying to get there before the sacrament as the lady we take informed me of how heart broken she would be if she didn't. I sped like crazy and got there during the opening hymn feeling pretty self satisfied only to realize that Travis wasn't doing so well battling the kids apparently and hadn't arrived yet. After the sacrament I went out to the hall to find him and the kids. They had missed the bread and therefore didn't take the water. Both the kids and him were a little disappointed which broke my heart. Perhaps I should have tackled the kids and left him to pick up our friend. I want to say that I am a quick study and that from this mistake I'll learn my lesson and it will never happen again, but I'm not sure I believe that. Because if we continue to have DLS, that's two times a year for the rest of my life maybe 50 or so years. That's at least a hundred times and quite frankly I'm bound to mess it up again. But I hated it and I'll fight it.

5 comments:

Beckie said...

Wow. What a morning. I, too, was very ready for Daylight Savings Time. My kids were up earlier and earlier. We changed our clocks back before we went to bed though. My kids are sleeping past 7. Hurray!

John and Jennie Hair said...

Wow, that must have been quite the surprise!! I'm sorry it made the day so rushed, but years down the road you'll probably laugh at it all. We hope all is going well with you and your family. Say hi to the kids for us.

Jenny said...

Well, I think that you looked good for being so rushed. And, no I'm not returning the new camera. So that means that Josh gets to have one on his trips, too.

Sommer said...

yeah day light savings is rough, especially because they've moved it up a month or so!

Panda said...

so funny...i can't believe you pulled it off! you looked great for running out the door. :)