Monday, June 9, 2008

Oh Crap, My Son's a Genius

So I know this shouldn't be a bad thing right, but let me give you the context. So I am trying to get Wyatt into preshool for next year, really pre-k but the subtle difference is missed by a lot of people. Anyway...the school district here offers one. Bella went to one out in Utah and I thought it was the best thing for her. Surprisingly enough all of my kids can be quite shy at first, Wyatt is the worst, Bella has pretty much outgrown it. I think they need the socialization to work them into Kindergarten, especially all day. And also -little moment of honesty here, I am not one of those mothers who work on things with their kids.

You know the kind I am talking about. Their children know their colors, numbers, letters, names, sounds, etc... by age 2. I don't do flashcards, quizzing, anything really. Not that I have anything against it, I secretly envy those moms and kids. I just don't have the time and it is not a priority. Anyway for this pre-k program you fill out an application, you go have an evaluation and they then pick the students. Based on several criteria, mainly income, skill/knowledge level, and other extenuating circumstances.

Although we are not rich, I somehow had my doubts about us meeting the income objective. As for extenuating circumstances, the guy was like if you don't have a car, weird family situations, etc... Who doesn't have a car? Really. So lastly I was hoping that somehow Wyatt was behind academically figuring all that not working on school stuff had paid off. Or if nothing else his shyness would inhibit him from talking to the assessor.

Just my luck. It turns out Wyatt was very shy. But this guy who would be teaching the class, was so good. He pulls out dinosour toys and they start to play without talking. He then asks Wyatt some questions like who is this with you today, and other primers of the sort. Eventually I can see him segway to the testing and Wyatt is fast coming out of his shell. Oh no. Please be dumb. A prayer not often uttered by mothers I know.

It turns out for all of Wyatt's not talking or being interested or sitting down with me, he is quite the genius - this even confirmed by the teacher. So Wyatt identifies colors, come on, counts to 29, who knew, and continues with some really amazing feats like shapes, rhyming word card games, same sound games, identifying letters, numbers, and timed guessing games. Last of all the guy asks him to draw a picture. Which he does of himself, when prompted who it is, Wyatt answers me, to which the guy says can you write your name. I know he is never going to do this because we have never even tried. Till last week he didn't even know what letters were in his name or so I thought. Wyatt proceeds to write his name nigh on to perfectly with a slightly odd shaped "w", slowly visualizing each letter in his name. Who knew.

In the end the guy said they would finish evaluations this week, have letters mailed one way or another by next week's end. But that this part was his least favorite part of the job, where he unofficially told me not to count on it, and referred me to some other private pre-K, academically based programs. I guess I'm glad Wyatt is a genius, but couldn't he just have actted mute for the thirty minutes thus confusing the testor to believe he is dumb. The things we, maybe it's just me, mothers wish for.

7 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

I uttered the same prayer last year for Anna. The teachers instantly fell in love with her because she never stopped talking. She pretty much got every answer right (I never taught her the stuff either) The teachers pretty much said don't count on it but, they would keep her name on a waiting list and she could join the class anytime in the school year if kids moved or something. Well, after the first day of school I got a call and some kids decided not to go so Anna got in. so, my point is miracles do happen.

Staigerfamily said...

Funny how kids seem to know the best times to show off exactly what you don't really want them to show off. . .or surprise us moms who are with them ALL THE STINKIN TIME with things WE never knew about them!

candice said...

That's the beauty of following Bella. He's been watching her all along. It's true with everything. The first is the ginuea pig, the rest benefit! I'm telling you, oldest is bad, 2nd is best, third is worst, fourth is the luckiest! Congrats on the genius child! Perhaps we should be thanking Bella!

Mindee Graver said...

I was just going to say the same thing Candice did. I'm sure Bella has been teaching him lots! Gus would always tell us something like "I know 3+3=6" before he started school and Bethanee would be right behind him saying " I taught him that!" I'm glad Wyatt decided at the "Right Time" to let you know his true genius :)

nicole said...

so funny- I just put my kids in the preschool at the high school. Its an awesome program because there are like 12-15 seniors for like 20-25 kids and these girls are so hyped about their "job". congrats on your closet genius by the way.

We Three Queens said...

Don't worry Mary... he'll turn dumb when he get closer to his teens... hahahahahaa. It's so fun finding out our kids are much smarter than we think they are.

Mendy said...

This made me laugh, Mary! My four year-old wearies me with cries of "let's play you tell me the letter and I tell you the sound it makes!" My older two never cared about that stuff at all. Each child is his or her own person, that's for sure!