Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

I'm a loser. I admit it. I love reality tv, but more than anything I love The Bachelor. I know I should be ashamed, but I'm not. There is something so amazingly fulfilling in watching this show. For those of you who don't watch and don't live on this planet, it is where a man, typically, is given 25 women. He dates them all slowly eliminating them until he is left with two at which point he -optimistically or crazily- proposes to one of them. All this in about six weeks I believe.

So I know that this is not actual reality as my mother pointed out in very serious tone and manner in which she assumed I thought it was. But here is the thing, I do think some of it is real. As the premier showed last night I watched enthused, poised, ready to mentally absorb as much as possible. And in my estimation you can't fake that kind of "trashed" that the one blond contestant got. Also who really slips their panties into a man's pocket/pants? Fabulous - what more could you want.

Well if you really want more the highlights included: A first time ever International - British - Bachelor, a girl who hiccups when nervous, the drunk/panty slipping blond, the not so famous actting daughter of Lorenzo Lamas whose intentions are pure for love not fifteen minutes to jumpstart her career, an Oklahoma native who thought she antied up by biting a chunk of metal out of a beer can (perhaps my very favorite moment), a 30 year old prematurely aging girl who broke into ridiculous dancing, a clarinet playing red head, a guitar playing/singing Florida girl who perhaps just walked onto the show from the trailor grounds, etc...

Now really who couldn't love this show. And although I think it is editted, staged, and bad behavior encouraged, each time I see it I see reality too. I see glimpses of girls I went to college with, knew in high school, moments that I fear I may have or currently engage in despite their ridiculousness. But in the end it just does a lot for my self esteem. No need to feel bad when you look at the other girls out there in the world in my age bracket or otherwise. Although a lot of these girls may have looks on me, no worries - I don't think I am shabby in that department either-, because what they have in beauty they lack in every other areas such as tact, class, intelligence, wit, ability to hold their liquor.

Oh the world really does seem such a happier place today with my new found wisdom and boost. Life with The Bachelor is glorious.

3 comments:

Biz said...

Your "Guilty Pleasures" needs to be followed by a (Spoiler Alert) in instances of this nature.

And for the record, we are sister soulmates in the connection of our love for the Bachelor. CAN"T GET ENOUGH.

Mary said...

Please you were supposed to watch it that night and call me the next day - RETARD. Put that in your blog. Ha.

Anonymous said...

Hillarious!!!! I don't get it, unless it's the satisfaction of watching people humiliate themselves! But hey, who am I to judge? Candice