Friday, March 21, 2008

Dying Eggs


So we always try to dye eggs on Saturday and all seems to go wrong so this year I decided we would dye them on Thursday night. Well it turned out Thursday night was the Relief Society Birthday Enrichment. Then on Friday morning I open my dollar store dye kit to find that it doesn't actually contain any dye. Just fluke bad packaging.


I run into Spring Grove to the dollar store to replace it. I look in the box to verify it has dye before I leave the store. It's there. I get home to start. I get my six cups assembled, add the vinegar to five, none is supposed to be with the pink. I start tossing the dyes that are for sure not pink in the cups. It turns out there are two blue dyes no purples.


Then I get down to two that look pink, well red actually and they are slightly different. So I know one is and one isn't. After much detective work I deduce the pink one throw it in the nonvinegar solution. It turns out to be orange. Pink is now in the vinegar turning to sand grit that is dropping to the bottom without disolving and dying the water at all.


I call it a loss and pour it out after mixing it with still no success. As I rinse out the cup there is enough granules to dye the plain water and we get pink. Best case scenario we got the eggs dyed early. Worst case it was still one big problem after another. Good thing I am a best case scenario girl. Pictures and Videos attached.

6 comments:

Biz said...

I left a comment. It got erased. I hate your security measures. Manage your comments and re-post it. (What I did the other night when you gave me your stuff. You should be able to do it yourself now.)

Anja said...

How cute! Bella looks just like you!

Sechrist Family said...

Hey, Friday isn't so bad. Much better than the night before!!! Happy Easter!!! :)

Mary said...

I think it is funny, that my two year old son corrects my husband slowly as if Travis is the one who is not getting it.

I also love the Easter song that includes punching heads off.

whitney allison said...

Yeah, I didn't even read down far enough on the box to see that you weren't supposed to add vinegar to some of them I added to all of them and our eggs were all gritty. On our box you only added vinegar to 3 of the colors. Luckily the kids didn't really care or notice but I sure did. We covered it up with glitter.

Staigerfamily said...

This cracked us up! Your kids are so much fun!! I loved the songs, the laughter and the all around excitement. Bet life is always exciting at your house. I agree--Bella looks more and more like you!