Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What Bachelor?

Anyone who knows me knows I love The Bachelor, truth be told it has little to do with the bachelor himself or people finding love. More often, I am simply entertained at the lengths people go to trying to impress people of the opposite sex when there are 24 other people wanting that same person’s attention. And it is with this in mind that I tuned in to the new season of the show which aired Monday night. The bachelor was last season’s rejectee, Jason – single dad to three year old Ty. So the first week or two are often the best as women make complete fools of themselves. But this year was one disappointment after another. No one was going the distance and committing to the role of psychotic lunatic chick that was obviously single for a reason. I don’t know if they ran out of crazy girls, if they have decided to clean up the show, or if the TV execs with unusually low morals decided to at least give this guy a shot with somewhat normal women because he had a son and to screw with a three year old hopefully goes against their barely existent moral code. It just didn’t do it for me. Sure I wouldn’t marry the girls because they were still pretty messed up but I couldn’t really mock them and laugh at them with the same disregard I have done in past seasons because I believe these girls really are looking to get married, several of them single mothers themselves. And so instead of laughing I almost want to cry for them.

But no worries, following The Bachelor was a priceless gem of a show called True Beauty. Ten of the most “beautiful” people compete to see who is the best looking, what they don’t know is that they are being filmed by hidden cameras to explore inner beauty as well. Although I don’t find the ten beauties to be as stunning as they are more marginally attractive, they are pretty much horrible human beings. They are stereotypically not bright and almost always saying things they think are brilliant only to have me on the floor rolling with laughter. However the host, Vanessa Manilo, taught me the brilliant word of the week - bromance, which I can't even believe I have lived so long without to this point. This week’s challenge was to go to a "beauty doctor" – he measures your face and body for symmetry which is appealing to the eye and gives you a score. Another test though was when the contestants were left in the room with the other people’s files who looks and who doesn’t. And as I watched I said to Travis, “Oh, I’m so looking.” Regardless it may not be witty, smart, or even entertaining, but it just might be my new guilty pleasure. Not to be confused with one of the bachelor’s potential mates named Treasure. Yeah seriously. And she was from Salt Lake City.

2 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

Ohhhh. . .I'd love to watch it with you! I think their should be a blog dedicated to weird Utah names. Some kids can't help but grow up into psycho's with the name they are given. . .

Colette said...

I totally watched the true beauty show and can't agree with you more, tried to watch the bachelor, couldn't hold my interest