Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Perhaps a Look at the Chart

Recently I found myself in at my family doctor's office again. I needed another refill on birth control, but since it had been a year since my last visit we had scheduled to do some other things - left unnamed. As we finished up and we were going over my contraceptive history the doctor asks me, "Now are you using condoms?" To which I reply, "Not really." I am perplexed. Is this something new? In my avoidance of doctors unless neccessary have I missed something. She then continues to extol the virtues of condoms and why I should be using them everytime. It is at this point that the dawn of revelation hits me. I cut in on her spiel "I'm married. I'm married with four kids." Startled and shocked she stammers, "Oh...oh you look young." Well thank you. I'll take that as a compliment. I am young, but still it might be helpful to look at a patient history before you start lecturing on safe sex, in it you'd find I am married, I have had four pregnancies and deliveries, and had my birth control filled with you last time where you took this extensive patient history. Just a thought. But what do I know.

8 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

When I was pregnant with Lindsay I had a resident (older one in her 40's or 50's) telling me that I should be using condoms because I could catch something that could harm the baby. I just looked at her and said "I'm married and have never had any other partners." Her response was "you never know what your husband will bring home." implying that my husband is unfaithful. I just looked at her and told her my husband was a 3rd year medical student and although I know he isn't cheating on me he would't have the time to do it anyway. She just nodded in understanding. I couldn't believe the nerve.It's like monogamy is unheard of these days.

ambyr said...

think of it as a nice compliment right?! Surely she would know that even if you were messing around, YOU would USE condoms!! LOL!!!

Jonathan said...

Ha ha ha! This totally cracks me up. I love it. C'mon Mary--patient histories? They are totally over rated! I wish I could have seen her face. Too funny.
Side note--will you please email me your address and current phone number?

Stacy said...

as I sat here and read this I could hear your voice in my head saying this And all I could do is Laugh. I to would have like to see your face and hear the tone in your voice as you talked to the Doc. HAha
Yes Cassidy is all better now and I take her in next week for a check up. Thanks for asking. ttyl

Marissa said...

You should look into the Mirena. I've had it in for 2 1/2 years and it's fantastic. No remembering pills or condoms and you don't know it's there. It's good for five years of worry free sex and your doctor can do it for you in their office.

The Robisons said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny! Seriously, makes you wonder where a Doctors head is sometimes...nevermind, bad comment to make concidering the doctor...lol!

Candace said...

When I was prego with Emmy my doctor would ask me everytime if we were doing a btl (bilateral tubal ligation) along with my c-section. Everytime I would tell him no and he would mark it in my chart. it didn't really help either that I work with him at the hospital and sometimes he would ask me there too...are we doing a btl with you? Nope...plan on more kids...every stinking time....i started to wonder if he was trying to tell me something.
I'm also with marissa....i have had mirena placed and love it...no periods after 3 months. Check into it.

Marissa said...

Oh I totally forgot to mention about the periods. Definite plus!