Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Out With the Old; In With the New

On this day, the inauguration of our forty fourth President, I find myself deep in thought or hope anyway. As I watch the hoopla build in anticipation of his presidency I can’t help but wonder what the next four years will bring. He wasn’t my first choice for the position, he wasn’t even who I voted for, but the people have spoken, the politicians have spoken and so being a believer in democracy I lend him my support. Last night as the festivities began I found myself praying for him, praying that in these times he will seek the counsel of wise men around him, that he will seek the counsel of an all powerful God, and that he will follow that counsel. I hope for the many Americans who are suffering at the hands of the economy that they will prosper, I hope for the many Americans who have sacrificed the past eight years of their life serving in the military for all of us that their service will not have been in vain with what he decides to do next, most of all I hope that every person gains whatever they thought he could do for them. God bless Barack Obama II, he’s going to need it.

And with that I can’t help but think about George W. I feel such deep gratitude for him. In my book he will go down as one of the great presidents similar to the likes of Reagan. After eight years the people have turned their backs to him and turned their back on him regarding him with hostility and disdain. Having received the highest approval rating of any president as well as the lowest approval rating only shows how many calamities he has had to deal with during his terms. Perhaps his public speaking skills could have been more polished but I always found his candor to be grounded and approachable lending to a familiarity that makes me call him George W. instead of President Bush. In his final weeks his athletic cat like ninja reflexes in ducking from the infamous “shoes” will forever cement his good standing in my eyes. Good luck to him as well in the upcoming years.

5 comments:

Beckie said...

I have been watching the news all morning amazed at the crowds. I hope the support renders this new president with courage and zeal to unite and make the country a better place.

whitney allison said...

I agree on all counts. I honestly feel very emotional this morning, and not because some "miraculous change" is about to take place because I'm pretty skeptical of that but because I feel for President Bush. I will honestly miss him. I feel terribly for the way my fellow Americans have treated him and betrayed him.

Anja said...

Great Post mary, I enjoyed your thoughts and feel much the same. I hope he brings some hope to our country in this time of need

Candace said...

I also feel the same way and have wondered the exact same things today. What do the next 4 years hold for us. maddy watched part of the inauguration with me and i told her who barack was and that we needed to pray for him to make right choices for our country. She replied yes we do...I hope the out come is as optimistic as his speech was today. farewell to george w. (who didn't do a bad job at all) you will be missed. well said Mary well said.

We Three Queens said...

Amen on all points. I too am hoping for the best even though I have great concerns and reservations. I fear not so much for my future as for the future of my children and grand-children. So much is at stake. I truly hope President Obama is able to secure our safety as well as President Bush did after 9/11. I also hope the day comes when President Bush is recognized for the great leader he truly was rather than the "stupid war monger" he has been labeled. I will miss him.