Thursday, January 8, 2009

If It Isn't Going To Snow

I am not a person who looks back, who longs for the past, or desires to change things that happened long ago most of the time. But lately in the weather that isn’t quite winter, but sure isn’t spring, summer, or autumn I am longing for the summers of my youth or teenage years anyway. I was blessed with the opportunity to live both in a fairly close proximity to the beach and parents who took us annually at a minimum. And as I entered my teenage years not only did I frequent the quiet family beaches of the Delaware Coastline but the more affluent beaches of the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

I remember one particular summer or maybe it is many summers that have clouded into one summer of bliss in my mind. And I find myself being immersed in memories so vivid I feel like I am almost living it once more. All this is spurned to life by some song on the radio, the Jason Mraz song. It reminds me of the feel of Bob Marley and there I am again on the dark beach at night, with a bonfire. Boys would tote their guitars around looking for the opportunity to impress a girl singing the songs written by another often with the raspy voice of someone who has smoked their fair share of assorted substances but still pleasing to listen to.

Many groups of teens huddled around while the hormonal boys tried to test the boundaries of the girls, and the girls on the midst of becoming women trying to test the bounds of their feminine wiles at work. All around there was an electrical charge, an energy and excitement of no one knowing exactly what would happen next, but sensing that it could potentially affect the rest of their life. And so is the faulty wisdom of a teenager filled with chemicals overtaking their body and brain tricking the mind. But still in this weather it might be nice to be there instead.

2 comments:

Panda said...

love the pic of you and travis....so young! actually, you don't look that much different. :-)

Beckie said...

I did enjoy looking out my windows especially the woods behind my house and seeing all the ice encased branches and bushes.