Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Favorite Part of Christmas

Food is love. If you know me you know I believe this intensely. My mother was once quite the chef, baker, and overall foods expert. I have felt her love every Christmas of my life as she made literally hundreds of cookies. She would make all of our favorites including sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, snicker doodles, peanut butter blossoms, oatmeal crispies, butterscotch, and at least a dozen others I can't remember or try not to remember - date and nut cookies being one of them. Honestly I have never known anyone to dedicate this kind of energy in the kitchen at the holidays. This didn't even begin to touch the other delicacies that are a neccessity around our house this time of year rice crispy treats, homemade chex mix, pies, the best stuffing ever made, and all the other Christmas Day foods.
And now that I am a mom I choose to continue the tradition of love through food and treats at the holidays. Here are some of my favorite ingredients. Real baking chocolate, eggs, walnuts, chocolate chips, whip cream, real butter, yum. Not only is the food love, but the act of making and eatting it. Every child gathers around anxious to help and excited to lick the finished spoons and bowls. And although I have always found the phrase sort of silly, there really is something to be said about "breaking bread" with others. There is a vulnerabilty in it. And the sheer delight of experiencing new and loved flavors with those who you love brings you closer, and this is to say nothing about the countless hours that are spent conversing around the table.And so in the spirit of love and pure happiness at passing on a family tradition today I dedicated my day to cooking/baking. A few of the delectable goodies were homemade fudge with and without nuts, several kinds of cookies, rice crispy treats, chocolate pies, irish creme brownies - these have changed my life, and still to be made blackberry cobbler. And as expected the day was spent with children at my feet or by my side standing on a chair sharing in the pure delight of being together doing something we love. And for each moment in the future that will be spent joyously breaking the proverbial bread.
Merry Christmas everyone. Hope that all of you have a happy holiday season. And pray that the snow pounds my area. I know I am.

4 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

Wow! Sounds amazing! I love this song on your blog. . .I keep coming here just to listen to it. . . ought to get my own copy, eh?

Campbell Family said...

What a great post. I feel the same way. My mom was ALWAYS making during the Holidays. You're a great writer.
To answer your question -- Yes, I think it was Rocky Ridge. I couldn't remember the name of the park, or else I would have put that in my post. :) It's in York.
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

nicole said...

way to go Mary! I didn't do enough baking this year but I did some other cooking-and I'm praying for snow too-seriously what has happened that we keep getting missed?

Beckie said...

Yummy! I wish I lived closer. I love real butter too! I always splurge on my grocery bill with real butter.