Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Less Than Glamorous

I've had people comment that it seems like I am really happy and my life is really happy. And I can't deny these things. They are true, but that being said any mother's life has some less than glamorous moments. For instance today as I was ready to head to the store after lunch I told the boys to get their shoes and socks on. Lunch by itself is a less than glamorous task as cups of water and juice are spilled, peanut butter and jelly is often smeared on the table, and kids ending up looking like they could use a bath just from the process of eatting.

As they started to get their shoes and socks on I looked at Kody and realized he had disrobed down to his onesie shirt. This is a boy who loves getting undressed and any clothes easily dismantled will be. I sent Wyatt who was already ready to go in search of the pants and socks Kody had been wearing. Wyatt couldn't find them and I was convinced it was because of my kids' somewhat indiscriminating searching habits. I set out to find these pants and socks. Sure enough they weren't in the usual places, not even the unusual ones. I had checked floors, laundry baskets, drawers, in the basement, main floor, and upstairs. As I am finishing up my more thorough search I find his socks, but still no pants. As I am leaving the upstairs I take a peek in the toilet to make sure they aren't there.

And this is when I thought what has my life come to that I am looking in the toilet for pants that may have been stuffed there and/or potentially flushed. It wouldn't be the first non biodegradable material to make it down our hatch. And after the boys' behavior the past few days I wouldn't put it past them. These are the boys who came down to lunch with wet hair. When I inquired as to the source of moisture I was rewarded with the answer that it was spit. They had found a water can and knowing that they couldn't play with water inside they had actted out pouring water over one another's heads by repeatedly spitting on one another. Imaginative yes. Disgusting. YES! But alas the pants weren't even in the toilet. I went to the store just leaving the pants to reappear later.

And of course they did. Shortly after being home, having the kids pee, read books before naps, and while walking them up the stairs I see a glimpse of something stuffed under the recliner. I was rewarded with a pair of green cargo pants that had been missing for three hours. These are the less glamorous moments of my life. Take it or leave it if you must.

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

We looked for 45 minutes for Adam's shoes once. We looked just about everywhere in our house, which at the time was only 900 square feet, honestly they couldn't have gone far. So I decided to give up and make the kids something to eat, opened the fridge and there were the shoes. In the fridge! Very strange things happen when you have kids that people without kids might never believe. I'm glad the pants reappeared and weren't in the toilet!

Biz said...

Mary... remember when you left me a certain treat on my dresser? Or rather on every drawer of my dresser? Spitting in one another's hair looks like a bath compared to your special treat for me... on EVERY DRAWER OF MY DRESSER!!

Sommer said...

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these less then glamorous moment though I must admit.... the spitting just tops it all, YUCK!!!

jaime said...

Too funny!... and after reading the comments... I am very curious what the surprise was that you gave your friend in her dresser drawers... I'm sure that is a really good story!

Beckie said...

At least the boys are creative?! But yeah I would draw the line at spit too.

Gina Spidel said...

Yea, Mary & Elizabeth, spill it!!!
Says the oldest of All Siblings!!!