Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

Although Easter brings mixed feelings for me because my love for the Savior is often overshadowed by egg hunts and candy baskets I still can't help but smile as I watch my kids enjoy the holiday. This year we woke up before eight, miracle of miracles, but that was the only way to fit everything in. The kids explored the loot the crazy bunny had brought them. And after a few minutes were ready to do the hunt that Travis and I put on. We went outside still before eight o'clock and found our eggs. It was still chilly that early in the morning despite the day being beautiful. We returned to the house to eat breakfast, a few pieces of candy, and to start the getting ready for church. The kids were decked out in pastel colors and beautiful clothes that color coordinated with one another. At one point they were all neat and my good intentions of taking family pictures turned out to be just that an intention that was cut off. I rushed out the door by 9:30 to get in a last practice for the special music numbers. When the kids arrived at church Wyatt had caramel on his sweater, their hair was all unkempt, but they were glowing with smiles a mile wide from the excitement of all that candy. We got through church and I survived my singing which I thought might really be the death of me. We headed home where I embarked upon the food and feast for that evening. Nothing is more holiday feeling than the feast and friends and family that gather around it. We had some great friends over and they always make me laugh. Plus she brought the most amazing dessert of Strawberry Pavlova. Oh my melt in my mouth goodness. Then the men took the kids out back to burn some steam off on the trampoline and play. Soon it seemed like the whole neighborhood had come to play. And I was just thanking my Heavenly Father that my happy family would be an eternal one because of what he and Jesus Christ did on this day defying death and helping us overcome sin. My reverent feelings for this holiday might be measured in minutes throughout the day but the intensity of that gratitude is forever.

2 comments:

Michelle Vandepol said...

i agree with you -- i have the same conflicted feelings :) looks like you had the best kind of easter -- the real thing with some sugar on the side for the kids :)

Solviej said...

You forgot to mention that you made me laugh my head off with pictures of you in your underwear;)Thank for letting us into your world.