Sunday, May 31, 2009

An Exciting Day at Church

On top of being nervous about the choir performing for the first time today under my direction I was feeling all around anxious to get the day going. I had several major things going on and I knew I would feel better to just get it started. I can handle most anything thrown at me but the before worrying may be the death of me. I get to church, last choir practice goes amazing, first little meeting of the day fine, church starts, choir sings, good, good. When I return to my seat I go to the opposite side of the pew to sit nect to David who is flanking our family versus climbing over three people.

Maybe five minutes later I hear a commotion down at the end of the row and I look to see Travis catching vomit in his hands from Wyatt. But a man can only catch so much with his two hands. Wyatt proceeded to vomit over Issac's shoes, a litte on his pants. This was too much for Issac and after a bit of coughing/gagging he responded in turn by throwing up ever so little. Wyatt is still going strong as a man rushed forward with a trash can. But too late for my purse and church bag including a book leant to me by a friend just today. I circle around the back of the chapel to cart off two vomit covered boys. In the bathroom we wipe them down as best we can. The spare pants from the car are gone and although Wyatt is going home with Travis, Issac assures us he is fine but without new pants we improvise by cleaning them the best we can and turning them inside out to go to class. When I return to the chapel sacrament meeting has ended so I clean up without too much trouble and actually with a lot of help from David.

Near the end of Primary/Church Issac comes to me saying my belly hurts. I run him out to the bathroom this time on red alert. But it was a false alarm. I walk him back to primary with a trash can in hand - just in case. Church ends and as we are walking towards the exit Issac once agains says my belly hurts and proceeds to throw up as rigorously as Wyatt had done except this time all went in the trash can because I was prepared. I took him out to the car once he said he was fine but returned to the church to grab a plastic bag for the trip home - just in case. I come out to see Uncle David stooped over a vomiting Issac. Apparently he said he was sick again and Bella came running in the church for help and he was the first one she saw.

Once again David was a great help. With even more paper towels and plastic bags for the car ride home we left. David had run at least three bags of vomit to the outside dumpster through the course of the day and as I was leaving had one more he was going to walk over. Of course we didn't make it home without incident. But we headed straight for the bath, pjs, and a night in front of the tv. But not before Issac complained of being thirsty, took a drink, and then decided to throw up straight on me, down my shirt, and seeping between my bosoms. At this point I just layed on the kitchen floor and laughed, a well of relief springing from all the day's tension finally relieved.

A day with me is always filled with busyness and excitement and today was no exception. As for embarrasment well having two children vomiting in the middle of sacrament meeting while people rush forward with wet wipes, trash cans, and others with cleaning materials distracting most of the congregation to watch our family instead of the speaker ranks just under taking off all my clothes and streaking through the chapel. But I'll survive I suppose. Sometimes things in life can be put in perspective so easily when you see the trials of another and so temporarily sick children although not fun add to just another entry in the blogging journal.

12 comments:

Mary said...

It's official. Our house is in quarantined lockdown. Kody woke up from his nap with vomit all over his room. And I feel sick to my stomach.

Brittni said...

Oh my gosh, Mary. I am so glad I did not come over and visit today. I am so sorry. It turned out to be not a great day after all. :(

Stacy said...

I am so sorry ! I hope you all get feeling better soon. But I still have to laugh. Cause I know how you get cleaning it up. :) But soundss like you did it!

Anja said...

Oh I am sooo sorry for your little sick family. I hope you all get well sooN!

Biz said...

YUMMY!

May I make one comment? Only you would allow a child who has just thrown up to stay around at church (even if he did claim he felt better).

I'd be like, "time for bed mister. Your body needs rest."

But you know, you're a cooler mom than I would be.

Beckie said...

Oh my gosh how horrible! I hope you all get to feeling better really soon! Sick kids are no fun.

Cyndi said...

OH MARY!! Nobody tells you there will be days like these, do they? I hope you all get to feeling better VERY soon!! Congratulations on directing the choir, nothing like a job like to get your knees shaking a little, wow. And PS I think the picture of you sleeping that Travis took IS cute.

Campbell Family said...

What a nightmare for you guys. I'm sorry you're sick!! I hope you get feeling better soon.

We Three Queens said...

What a total drag! I can't believe how bad that had to be. I sure hope you're all doing better now.

Kristi Avery said...

That has got to be the craziest church story I have ever heard!! Kudos to Travis. Carl would have thrown up too!

whitney allison said...

Wow. All I can think is, Mary had vomit seeping between her breasts and she reacted with laughter. You're so grown up. I'm so proud. haha.

nicole said...

My theory is if you don't laugh you'll cry. Of course sometimes people mistake my laughter in situations like these as that of a maniac-but it does bring relief nonetheless.
Mary you rock. Hope you guys are feeling better.