Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Have I Done

About a week ago I had a friend call me up sort of out of the blue. We start talking and she is giddy and excited all atwitter. I know something is up so after a couple of questions it comes out. She wants me to do a triathlon with her. Now in my day I was an athlete. I'm not going to lie. I just don't think I can cut it anymore. I haven't swum seriously since high school. I have never been a competitive bike rider and running well let's just say it's been a two years since my last race. And that was not an impressive performance.

To her benefit it is a sprint triathlon which means only 500 M swim, almost 15 miles on bike, and 5K run. Independently I'd have no trouble with any of them but the idea of putting all three back to back terrifies me. Overall I think I am more excited than anything. Excited to train again, compete, and have fun with one of my favorite college friends. But think is the key word here; in the back of my mind still lingers all my inadequacies and finding time to train seems like a daunting task. It's Memorial Day weekend though so hopefully the weather will warm up and I can take to the outdoors to train over and over again. She already told me that after that she wants to do a half marathon with me. I haven't committed to that yet, we'll just see how this first event goes. But I am starting to question who my friends are. What is she trying to kill me.

12 comments:

ambyr said...

GO GIRL!!!!! You can do it!!!! run that hot bod and show everyone you can totally do it...even after birthing 4 kids!!!

whitney allison said...

Why is she trying to kill you? I just don't understand things like this. I mean, you want money for charity, I'll get out my check book but I don't see why I need to physically exert myself.

Good for you though. I mean, I would certianly never call and ask you to do something so masochistic but whatever.

Staigerfamily said...

Totally do it! I did a couple of these about two years ago in Utah with my brother and loved it. I would love to find another one around here to train for. It is fun to have the motivation for the work out and then to test yourself and the sense of accomplishment at the end. You can totally do it and you'll love it!!

kbhull said...

Yea -- I am so excited!! It will be a good experience and I am so excited to do it with you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Whit. However, I am planning to run a marathon someday, I guess I will have to come up with some cause or else it will just be pure selfishness. Ha! I love that you are writing a book...anything I can read yet??

nicole said...

This is the Mt gretna one right? I've had lots of friends do it in the past and some that are doing it again this year-I've been tempted to do it because they rave about it. But I don't own a bike(that's my excuse right now anyway) My friends that do/have done it say that there are some people that are really competitive about it but most are just in it for the experience. You do know that you could always do it as a relay if you wanted to right?

Unknown said...

Good luck! I think it is great you are tyring it! I know I couldn't hack it!

Campbell Family said...

Wow! Go, Mary, GO!

Sommer said...

wow you are brave brave brave! You can do it though Mary, you'll do awesome. Make sure to take pictures and blog about it when you're done!

Candace said...

I'm jealous!!! How fun though really. What an experience. You should come to Texas and train the weather is great here....although I still prefer the gym. :)

Beckie said...

Yeah. Go you. I hope you do fantastic.

Ashley said...

You rock! You can so do it! What an awesome goal. I can't wait to see pictures and hear updates.