Thursday, October 16, 2008

Men Lock Up Your Wives

Last night was our ward book club. Many people ended up not showing up. So there were four of us. Four that I really liked. The person who was hosting it at her house was tired and we felt obligated to leave, although a friend and I weren't quite ready to go home yet. We stood in the road by the curb and our cars talking. And talking apparently. When I finally said it was time to go, I jumped in my car to see that it was 11:15. Wow with no watch time can get away from you. Solviej, my friend, said my husband is going to be worried. I knew that Travis wouldn't be.

When I arrived home the house was dark, everyone asleep. When I slipped into bed, Travis was roused just enough to say that Tad, Solviej's husband, had called Travis with worry and asked (loosely quoting here) "Did your wife run off with my wife." Travis was to return his call when I got home. So at midnight he is like we have to call Tad. I was like it's fine, she's home now. Travis ever polite said, I told him I would call. So he did. All was fine. Apparently though I am the wife thief. The girlfriend who is always up for a good time tempting the other wives away from traditional domesticity. I will snatch away the wives and take them to crazy places like dark neighborhood streets, ice cream shops, fast food restaurants, and if I could ever find anyone brave enough dance clubs.

As we are falling asleep though, Travis said "As I was getting out your stuff for bed (contact case, birth control, floss, and toothbrush) I noticed your wedding rings were in the drawer. A lot of other husbands would probably be worried, but with you I'm never worried." Now that is trust. Man I love my husband and our marriage. And just for all of you worriers, I was wearing my mom's wedding band, which is why mine were in the drawer.

12 comments:

Mindee Graver said...

You are a "wife theif!" So when are you gonna steal me again?? It's been a while :)

OwenEveryone said...

that is to funny! I especially like how travis wasn't worried that you didn't have your rings on! Jason doesn't wear a wedding ring...... Can lose a finger that way in the cabinet bussiness!I forget mine sometimes too! Good to clarify though, because we wouldn't want to spread any family gossip now that mary wasn't wearing her wedding rings!! (as I have done that when I forget to wear my rings to family gatherings!!Makes for a funner gathering)

Candace said...

Can i just say...I love your blog...i get all excited when i see that you have posted in the past few hours. You crack me up and make me smile. I usually have to share with adam what i've read on your blog because it makes me smile all day long. And I'm with Mindee...when are you going to come steal me...I'm long over due to be stolen by anyone.

Anja said...

I wish we could run away together! Ok, maybe just for a night out...

Panda said...

so funny...maybe i need to start going to book club!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary... I love your blog... so real and fun.... By the way.... we need to talk... LOL.... I got your Face Book message.... you make me laugh. I don't know how FB works, my children openned the accout for me. I just receive emails with details of new friends, etc... Email me your home number. modmartins@hotmail.com. I'll call you next week, because we are going out of town in a couple of hours...... Girls talk is always fun huh??

whitney allison said...

Well, in your defense I know that I've stolen you on many occasions so it all works out.

Beckie said...

Ok so at Christmas when everyone is home I am stealing all but over night. HA!

Panda said...

wait. so, does travis put out your things because he's a super sweet guy or because he wants to make sure another baby's not on the way... :-)

Solviej said...

Ha! Ha! Mary. Tad really did think you had taken me to a dance club. Poor guy had to get up a 5.30 am the next morning for work. I'm a cruel woman:)

Coop said...

Sounds about right for Tad & Solviej ... I bet if you tried you could talk her into a club ;D ...

ckw said...

Awesome! Sign me up too. :) For now, guess we'll have to settle for "moms and kids mornings in".

Really- I'm game though. :)