Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Chocolate Milk Before Bedtime

This is Bella. Bella is 6 and a half. She is my oldest girl and I love her to pieces. But a funny thing has started happening and I am not sure if I am prepared for it. She is on the cusp of being not so young anymore. This year she is in first grade and part of me wants to blame school for the destruction of her innocence. But a part of me knows that at this age she is going to start noticing things everywhere on tv, at school, when we go out - she is a watcher and a listener. Although she does her fair share of chatting too.

So when I see her getting ready to get in the bath and she stands in the mirror sucking in and saying mom I am this skinny holding out her hands the width of her, I worry. When she starts singing "tricker treat...give me something good to eat...I'll pull down your underwear" I worry. When she comes home crying because a girl at school doesn't want to be her friend anymore I worry. And when I see her repeating too much of what she sees and hears, I worry.

I can't protect and shelter her from everything much as I would like to sometimes, but that is why at the end of the day I am glad that she wants chocolate milk before bedtime. Because it means she still is the little girl she should be. When every other day or so she still takes a nap after school it means she's that little girl, and when she cuddles into my lap wanting to be held she's that little girl. Her growing up excites me but makes me nervous. What does the world hold for someone so special? Man I love my Bella roo.

5 comments:

whitney allison said...

It really is crazy how young kids are when things like that start, I mean to me, Bella is an infant but I'm sure that there is a lot of talk and thoughts that go through her that make her feel so much older. And it goes "trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat, if you don't I don't care I'll pull down your underwear." I guess I was the bad kid who taught it to the "Bellas" at my school.

Alissa said...

yeah. We're going through the same issues with Abbie. It worries me as well, but then I hear her talk about how excited she is to get baptized and how much she loves Primary... and I realize that it'll be okay. We're not doing TOO terrible a job. Hopefully.

ambyr said...

I thought I was the only bad mother who let's their kids have CHOCOLATE syrup in their milk every night!!!! sweet!

Beckie said...

She is such a sweet girl and you are a great mom. I have no doubts where she is concerned! Missing you.

Rachelle said...

i was just talking to my sister about this very thing this morning, but about her daughter who is in first grade. her daughter learned about drugs this week and is now asking what cigarettes and alcohol are! yikes! scary times to be raising kiddos. good thing you are her mom - you'll teach her right!