Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Not Going to Argue

I have a friend who is always telling me what a charmed life I lead. At first I was resistant to believe it. I wanted to recount to her all the woes my life has. It made me almost feel defensive, like I had to try and justify why I had such a good life and some other people don’t seem to. But I am working on just saying thank you when I receive compliments instead of saying “I know” or denying them. This seemed like a compliment. As I spent the next week or so contemplating this statement I realized some things perhaps not for the first time.

My husband is not only the sweetest man ever, but he is a genius and I love to hear about his ideas and how he revolutionizes his workplace with his ideas. He is sexy in an unintimidating way, and it doesn’t hurt that when we walk into a room together I immediately size up the looks of all the other men and mention to him that he is usually the hottest or in the top three.

I have the best friends anyone could ever hope for. They are women of faith who are strong, smart, and capable; they are mentally stable and not too crazy. They are the perfect combination of fun and serious.

My family is amazing and perhaps some of the funniest people I have ever known. All of us love a good time and so put us all in a room together and often times I am snorting laughter, tears rolling down my face, squeezing the pee in till I reach the bathroom. They are amazingly generous and my best friends.

As for me I seem to be relatively talented. This was perhaps the hardest thing to accept hearing from my friend, since I am my own worst critic. I can play sports, sing and play the piano, I can draw a little, I am relatively intelligent, and I love to learn anything I don’t know. Those talents I lack I work really hard to get good at even if it is just for a mini project or short time. Hello decorating skills here I come.

Now this all might seem quite self congratulatory and egocentric, perhaps it is, but what I realized more than anything is that although I am really blessed (and Heavenly Father gets all the credit there) my life is so good because of one main reason. I choose to be happy. That is the kind of person I am. I am not a whiner, complainer, moaner, etc… If something is wrong I may confide in a few close friends but otherwise I am sucking it up, dwelling on the positive, looking for the next spectacular moment life has to offer me. I love to have a good time and therefore make most anything I am involved in a good time. Ah, life is good, and I am not arguing. I do lead a charmed life.

2 comments:

Anja said...

Tim is a graphic designer and my dad has parkinsons

candice said...

The last reason is the one I like about you the most! Nice job on acknowledging your gifts and talents... no shame in doing so!