Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vermont

In Vermont we started our journey in a small town called Sharon. You will not have heard of it likely unless you are Mormon as it is the birthplace of Joseph Smith, prophet of the restoration of Christ's gospel on the Earth today. There lays several foundations of family homes, all that remains, a visitor's center, and a monument. What would be a short visit extended itself as we learned more about the area including Camp Joseph. The sweet couple missionaries pampered and doted on our young, zealous boys excited to be out in the wild playing.

After that we made our way up to Burlington, the very tippy top of the state and located on Lake Champlain. We went to the ECHO Museum. My least favorite museum of all, but still very interesting. The view out the windows were of the lake, across the lake New York, and the islands in between which are mostly owned by Vermont. One area of the lake is considered international waters which is rare because it is land locked, but it is land locked because of Vermont, New York, and of course Canada. I learned about the infamous "Champy" our very own lake legend similar to the Lochness Monster of Scotland. Additionally I was awed by the zebra mussels and the invasive habits and they have. Below is a picture of a bike at 1 week, 1 month, and 1 year in the lake showing their total indiscretion in taking over an area.
We then started heading south once more to get to Waterbury home of Ben and Jerry's and Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Cold Hollow is a bit anticlimactic in every way. The tour of cider making is a closet sized room with a minuscule TV showing the process, but the shop is incredible if you are looking for down home cutesy stuff. They give away free apple cider pops to everyone, which was good in theory, but diluted in taste. Bella's speculation was that they made it from the cider that went wrong. She may be onto something. I was in awe over the homemade honey and shelves of golden beauty. We purchased some of the apple cider doughnuts which we had heard about, but I was not at all impressed and could barely perceive an apple flavor at all it was so dominated by nutmeg and cinnamon taste. In the end Travis bought me for my "birthday", like the hundredth gift all week - maybe we should plan vacation around my birthday every year, some of the honey and a doughnut punch for my Fausnaughts and doughnuts that I make. In the end I would not visit it alone, but if you are going to see Ben and Jerry's it's not a bad stop.
About a mile and a half away we visited Ben and Jerry's, maker of Half-baked ice cream. And if forced to eat ice cream this is all I want. A factory tour shows a movie and then takes you through a viewing area of the facility unless of extenuating circumstances, on our day it was shut for cleaning. But the price of admission is so cheap and is free to all children under the age of 12 it's worth it. Of course there is a gift shop and a scoop shop, and the picture you can stick your head through, but our kids loved milking the cow statues in practice for when they become farmers. Eventually with the sun setting the kids were ready to eat, McDonald's, and crash.
Since we were leaving for home the next morning, I watched as my kids slept that night. I was in awe over cuteness and the week's fun and memories. I knew I wouldn't be forgetting this vacation for a long time. The next day after a quick replacement of brake pads and rotors we headed home. Where we continued to play car games like punch bug, the license plate game, the ABC game, and first in the state game. Travis gets very competitive over this and tries to prevent me from winning at all cost. This time he pulled over right at the start of the bridge to the Vermont/New York line trapping me between the guard rail without room to open the door and squeeze out for a foot race to the line. Once I caught on and tried to roll my window down for that type of exit and foot race he caught on and put the parental lock on with it only half way down. Knowing I was trapped in the car he bolted out of the car to run to the middle of the river and state line for a victory, once again underestimating the brilliance of his wife, me, who jumped into his seat where he had left the keys and gunned the car past him and over the bridge. We are still debating the winner of this race to New York, but Travis, the kids, and I laughed for a good long time. And I let him walk a little to the car for trying to provide me with such an unfair advantage. Look at him gloating. Man I love that we are a playful family. And that concludes summer vacation 2010. For updates regarding next year's vacation planning stay tuned.

3 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

I hope you all had a great time. I've always wanted to hit more of the quaint towns that New England offers.

Sommer said...

I think New England is one of the most beautiful places on earth. What a perfect and fun family vacation. It makes me want to go!

Anonymous said...

Aw, lovely post! New England is so magical and I hope you enjoyed your visit!