Thursday, August 26, 2010

A SAHM, A Nurse, Two Teachers, and Being Between Jobs

About a year ago, I had my ten year reunion. Shortly thereafter I had been invited to a monthly girls' night with some of the girls that I graduated with. At Knickers Pub in Heritage Hills Golf Course last week, there is something about the sitting outdoors under an umbrella with a live band from Key West playing in the background, we discussed old friends and classes, teachers and memories of course. And now with us all married we discussed our spouses, our children, and our work. And as I sat there loving the serenity in the moment of enjoying good food and friends and a shared history I couldn't help but contemplate the fragile relationships that lay there individually forged. We were an eclectic mix not having neccessarily been a tight knit group collectively let alone super close friends individually in high school. Each of us knew each other through some way though, some were spanish class partners, bus buddies, choir mates, etc...
And although at my ten year reunion I wasn't sure that the lines of social groups had dissolved enough for my liking, I found that we as this little group had done a fairly good job. And as we discussed the hardships of high school and rivals and friends alike, I couldn't help but still be as confused as ever as to why the high school social setting exists in the way it does nationally, if not internationally. We talked about how some of those old joys, pains, and grudges still exist and how navigating them through social networks now can sometimes be no less tricky as it was then. In the end I was happy knowing that at least these girls and I had possessed the ability to forge closer friendships through continued exposure despite what social limits may have existed in our pasts.

2 comments:

Adams said...

You are such a good writer!

Adams said...

To answer your question from my blog: Yes, that is my sister and thank you for saying that we have similarities because I LOVE THAT GIRL!