Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some More

Lately I have been running, running and running some more.  In January, Manheim got a gym this after a three year stint with nothing.  Having been a gym goer almost all my life, these 3 years were rough.  The first day they accepted memberships, I marched myself right in there and signed my year contract.  It's been happily ever after since.  Well sort of.

I don't mind working out, in fact, I love it.  But I have never been the world's best, fastest, or willing runner.  But I had a goal here.  I wanted to lose 20 lbs this year.  And anyone knows that when push comes to shove it is all about running to slim down.  Well at least that is what I have been told.

So now I run.  I run when I feel good, when I don't want to, and before and after I have worked out in other the ways that I like to.  I run everyday Monday thru Friday.  So now three and a half months in how much weight have I lost.  Well 1 lb.  Yeah it's frustrating and it sucks.  But I have lost inches so I haven't despaired entirely only partially.

But you know what I discovered?  No it is not that I love to run. I still sort of hate it.  But that I am learning to enjoy certain aspects of running.  I am learning to enjoy the mind numbing time spent on the treadmill.  Because truly some days I think of nothing for that hour except for stepping one foot in front of the other.  I am learning to enjoy competing against myself to run further than I have the day, week, and month before.  Tuesday that was 8.25 miles in 84 minutes and 50 some seconds.   Yesterday, when I had less time to run I ran for speed, 1.25 miles in 10 minutes even.  That's an 8 minute flat mile folks.  So to realize I am achieving goals I haven't met since high school is awesome.  And that in and of itself sort of makes me happy about the running, even if I am not happy about the actual running.

1 comment:

whitney allison said...

I canNOT believe you've only lost a pound! How frustrating. I'm sure you look fabulous though...and your heart is probably quite healthy. Good for you.