Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Home is My Haven

There are very few things I get totally serious about, but my home is one of them. Within its walls I want to hear laughter and love and peace - that's it.
So if you are an invited guest at my house please do not start it by asking if I am growing my hair out and then informing me you do not like it like that. Neither should you segueway into speculating about my menstrual cycle making pointed remarks about the potential for it being that time of the month for me. And last I wouldn't recommend being invited into my home and then suggesting that my husband may look for physical affection elsewhere if I don't give it to him and commenting on the general nature of how I am undeserving of my "perfect" husband.

Because if you do it is at this point that I will take my very serious nature about my home being my safe place and ask you to either learn to check what you say in my home or please leave.

On a totally unrelated note...I had the most fortunate experience this week. Monday I was zonked tired trying to recover from a whirlwind previous week and weekend. After taking Issac to school, I came home and went back to bed not setting the alarm thinking for sure I would be up before 11am. At 2 minutes until 11 I woke up knowing that I should already be at Issac's preschool. I jumped in the car with Kody and zoomed towards his school, running through one just turned red light on the square.

I looked in my rearview mirror hoping the car behind me followed to cover me if any potential cops were around, the police station is right on the corner. Sure enough a car had followed me through the red light, it being a cop car and all. He turned his lights on, I quickly pulled over waiting impatiently for him to come to the window where he asked for my license and registration. I informed him I knew why I was going to get a ticket and happy to accept it if he could please kindly follow me to the school a short four blocks away before giving it so I wouldn't be late picking up my son from preschool.

He asked what time I was supposed to pick him up. I answered 11am. He asked what time it was now and if that was why I had run the red light. I answered 11:03 and yes. At which point he took me name and said I'll give you a warning unless when I run your license it is suspended. If it is you will receive a ticket in the mail, if your license is clean consider yourself warned.

Well lucky me my license is not suspended, but my license had he given me a ticket would have hit the 6 point mark, Pennsylvania's limit whereupon there are additional consequences. But alas no worries, he was a very nice police officer. Thank you random policeman!

5 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

Why, why, why do people say things like that?? Sorry that you had to listen to that in your own home.

Staigerfamily said...

Oh my gosh . . . I can't believe someone said that stuff to you! Seriously. RUDE. I'm glad you put your foot down! AWESOMELY nice police officer. I'll try that if I get pulled over trying to pick up kids :)

whitney allison said...

Well, I mean...they kind of have a point...

Who was it? I'm calling you. This is ridiculous.

Way to get out of a ticket by the way, I'm so proud of you.

Adams said...

That was one brave "guest" of yours.....

Lindsay said...

You know better than to listen to any of that crap. You are sweet and kind and beautiful, regardless of the length of your hair. And you are the best friend anyone could ask for. You tell that person not to mess with a homie in this 'hood. She don't want our gang on her tail.