Thursday, October 7, 2010

Escaping

So as chair person of a farm show booth, basically my life is madness for one week. The biggest pain has been last minute changes to the volunteer schedule and no shows. Today I worked an impromptu shift. I told Bella to be in charge of Issac and put Wyatt in charge of Kody and allowed them to roam around the farm show for forty mintues whle I filled in. They each knew where my stand was and how to find me, and I felt totally confortable letting them explore for a bit. I know I am a very relaxed parent. For those of you who are a bit more protective, close your ears or eyes as the case may be.

About thirty minutes into it, I heard the area PA system static and it soon kicked to life with the voice of an older gentleman and I knew. As soon as he sad we have found a child, I said to my other volunteer this is going to be one of my kids and I have a strong suspicion I know which one. Blog readers, friends, I implore you. Take a guess.

As the man's announcement continued he said we have a little boy, he says his name is Issac. I took off my gloves and went to the designated area to pick up this child, the one whom I had suspected even as the static kicked on. I felt a momentary second of confusion, "How did Bella lose him?" But I knew Issac and so harbored no ill feelings towards her. As I arrived at the puppet show theater, I didn't see him. I asked the woman there about the missing little boy. She said, "Oh within seconds a little girl, his sister, came to pick him up and she told him she was so worried and why would he leave her side." A slow smile spread within me, Bella is my good girl.

And then the woman said, I adore your son. As he sat here watching the puppet show by himself I asked him, "Does your Mom know where you are at?" To which he responded, 'No, but I'm an escape artist - she won't be worried.'" I laughed a little knowing the truth of that statement more than anyone. She continued to tell me what a charming little boy he is. I thanked her and left to find and confirm the status of Issac. Issac got his usal speech that seems to have little effect.

So tell me dear friend and reader...what am I supposed to do with a little boy who looks for oppurtunities to escape when in a crowd so he can go and do whatever he wants to. He always comes back to us when he is done exploring and playing where he wants to and the rare time he has gotten lost he knows to find an adult in charge. He is actually quite responsible, but I hate that he hasn't learned to listen even if he thinks he's not a baby and doesn't need constant watching.

4 comments:

Emmalee said...

Make him worry just a little that you aren't going to pick him up. Watch him from a far then when you see the consern in his face pick him up. But it my totally back fire with that kid and he will enjoy the attention he is getting to which I would buy one of those leash back pack things that way he can' wander to far.

Staigerfamily said...

I love the it's okay . . i'm an escape artist response! So cute. As far as ideas. I got nothing . . . I haven't even figured out my own kids . . .

whitney allison said...

Tell him if he keeps wandering off he'll be kidnapped and murdered? That's all I got...

Cori said...

So cute... I can imagine that Ender will be the same way when he gets older! This story brought tears to my eyes and a light into my heart. You have such wonderful children and are a fantastic mom. I greatly admire you and hope I can be half the mom you are! Such an inspiration... Thank you for sharing... as far as ideas go, I'm not sure. It seems that he is responsible enough to know when it's "time to come home." Perhaps the best thing to do is to keep a closer eye on him as best you can and explain the whole "stranger danger" concept. =)