Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Healer

When Travis and I got married we had a ring ceremony at our reception with an exchanging of vows and rings. We did this because some of our family couldn't go to the temple at the time, I had only been out of high school for a year, and my friends were feeling left out of my wedding. As we shared our own personally written vows I blubbered my way through sharing how knowing Travis saved me. It wasn't very clear if even intelligible what I said. The blubbering made my words incomprehensible even if at any point they would have been well written, which they weren't. But he understood what I meant that day. It pains me to watch our wedding video and see myself loosing it in a big way. But the sentiments still ring true.


I can only best describe it like this. When I went to college, met Travis - these things are one in the same - I was broken, injured, and hurt. I knew that I was struggling, but I didn't know exactly what was wrong and I didn't know how to fix it. I was treating symptoms as they occured. But Travis came in, like a well trained physician, and after examining me found the problem and showed me how to fix it. Since then I have stumbled across a passage in Psalms. It is in chapter 147 verse 3. "He healeth the broken heart. And bindeth up their wounds." Of course it is referring to the Savior and that describes what Travis did for me. He saved me from a certain life of repeated mistakes and victimization.


Imagine my surprise when yesterday I got an email from my husband tellng me that he had recently hooked up with an old roomate from college via facebook. He said he had been very touched when he read his bio. I clicked over to see what it was and found in his About Me section: "....I hope that life has been good to you and that you have safety and people who care about you. Of course my most serious apologies for any wrongs I did on accident or purpose. What can I say, I was a lost and lonely kid. People trampled on me and I trampled on others. But, thanks to my amazing once roomate Travis -------'s example (from Texas of all places) I began to question the central tenets of this tragic mosaic (eye for an eye) social law that has become the modern rules of road of accepted interaction sadly even among otherwise decent people."


It can be pretty intimidating being married to someone like this, someone so without guile that I wonder if he has ever thought a bad thing about anyone, someone so pure in their intents and desires that I am constantly told stories like this. I wonder if I am good enough to be married to him, if I help him grow the way he helps me grow. I wonder if I got the better end of the stick when we got married. Regardless I consider myself lucky and blessed and thankful. I'll take the good things as they come and he is the best of them.

4 comments:

Biz said...

Destroy the tape. Keep the man. Re-write the sentiments. Deliver them to the man you married in the medium which best suits him.

Trust me. No one needs a record of me looking that awful. ;)

Gina Spidel said...

E-you are too funny!
M-I agree whole heartedly!! AND I TOTALLY understand your feelings!
G

We Three Queens said...

Mary.. you're such a sweetheart. I love reading your blog. You make me laugh, sometimes you make me cry... and times like this you remind me of what I am missing in my life. I haven't found my healer yet. I'm not sure if I ever will, but I'm so glad you did and you are willing to share with all of us what a wonderful man he is. You truly inspire me. I hope my daughters find someone just like Travis.

Carrie said...

I echo your sentiments exactly. Our husbands should hang out. They are like the same person and since they both like everyone, they are sure to like eachother. Either that or they will despise eachother...hmmm an interesting experiment.