Friday, September 26, 2008

And That Is When I Knew

I woke up this morning headed down to the kitchen with the kids in tow. We decided we were having hot chocolate and toast for breakfast. We needed hot chocolate from the basement and in my head I had been keeping a running tally of things to bring up of nonimportance next time I went down.

As I headed down the steps it was with a heavy foot because I was still feeling particulary fatigued despite it being a little after nine. I head to the back part of our basement to the food storage area and out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. I look down at the ground and there appears to be grass or something to the untrained eye. But my eye knows better.

So I watched waiting, trying to figure out what creepy crawling creature was doing a grass clump impersonation. To my utter surprise and amazement after waiting a second a spider unfurled. And literally because apparently my hulk walking had scared it into rearing up halfway into an upright position. I had never seen this and was so horrified that a spider would rear up at me.

And that is when I knew that this spider had to die with a vengence. I wasn't going to kill it like I would kill any other creature half sad that it was so fated to die merely because it had stepped in my house. The audacity of this spider bigger than your average spider, but not so huge that it's offensive position would scare me was killed with a force that unmatched any other insect death or arachnid as the case may be. I did this with the hope that this spider would come back from its grave to warn all other spiders that when in this position you would be better to hold still or scurry off, in a weak moment I may just let you live. Farewell bravado filled spider, your bravery did you no good here.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I hate spiders who think they can come into my house and try to take over. I will just go get a tissiue to kill it but if it's a huge spider it is Mike's to kill, or his shoe.
I'm glad it was only a spider as I read I thought it was going to be a snake and that's when I would have lost it. I HATE snakes.

Anonymous said...

I once had a fairly sizeable spider run towards me instead of away from me... that was kinda freaky. He got squished just like yours did!

Beckie said...

I am glad you survived the ordeal. Lets hope that no therapy is needed. Love ya.

candice said...

Really Mary??? A rearing spider? We all know you are tough, you don't have to exaggerate your spider stories!!! (you can hear my sarcastic teasing tone... right?)