Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm A Masochist

I just knew it. I was going to barf. I glanced all around the room. Surely there had to be a trash can in this room. What room doesn't have a trash can? And I can't possibly be the first one to have this feeling in this room. This room a black lit room of torture. Upon first viewing it, it seemed all cool and inviting. I was digging the feel of the glow of white in the room from the black lights, the limited visibility, and the blaring music. It was almost as if I was at a dance club. I was pumped and ready, but soon after I was burning with pain, and then I was feeling my stomach revolt against me.

Honestly the oatmeal and half slice of banana bread I had for breakfast were not happy and they had joined forces to create one large lump that threatened to overtake me and come up on their own accord any minute. I could feel the overly warm saliva coating the inside of my mouth. With my senses on full alert, I could taste the metalicness of humanity. Seriously where was the trash can? This is when I finally gave in and lowered the dial on my bike. But just a little for just a moment. I mean I don't want to embarrass myself like that. And that is when I realized that I love spin; it may be my new favorite workout.

Spin I have come to realize is a sport unto itself. It is for the die hard of athletes, the serious gym goers, and the quite possibly insane. I'm sure that you could do it very easily if you never moved the intensity dial, but that type of person wouldn't bother to take a spin class at least not more than once. I had felt totally out of place upon arriving. I had traipsed into the room, loving the feel, excited to try my first spin class. People were there early, warming up with a steady rotation of their legs on their own. I felt like a foreigner with all the people in head to toe spandex work out attire, hello 80's biker shorts and matching shirts, several bandannas, and many pairs of real cycling shoes, and a host of people shouting at me that I would definitely need water and a towel.

Set up on my bike with water and a towel both of which I actually did need, I was taken for a journey not in the physical sense because these are stationary bikes, but emotionally because there was a time in class when I wanted to give up and all I chanted in my head for five full minutes was "I am mentally tough". And I'm pretty sure based on the look the rider beside me gave it might have come out audibly a time or two as well

Cons were legs of jello for the day, the threat of bodily fluids revolting, the culture is intimidating, and a seriously sore bum. The Pros are it was the best workout of my life, self directed intensity, dark room, blaring music, and no mirrors to see the sweating, red faced, panting specimen I think of as myself. But that last one might just as easily be a con because seeing me fatigued is usually enough motivation to push myself further.

All in all I am already planning my gym visits and daily routines around every spin class available. If that isn't a promo for spin I don't know what is. Try it and when you do tell me all about it because I would love to hear.

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

Welcome to the spin fan club~it rocks!

Sommer said...

Seriously Mary you need to become a published writer. You are amazing!!! I've heard awesome things about the spin classes and how they are the best workout ever.... I'm a weakling though so I'll stick to my elliptical =) So are you going to get spandex shorts and a matching shirt now?

Laura Lynn said...

Sounds great - sarcasm. I think I'll stick to my daily run thank-you-very-much! haha

Tricia said...

Mary, You'll get used to seeing spandex and if you keep it up you'll probably pick yourself up a pair or two...Because they are way better than cotton. Trust me on this one! :)

Panda said...

ditto to cyndi! though now...in my current condition...i feel the burn walking up a flight of stairs. :-) my lil sis kenz is like the spinning queen, i think she's gone 6 days a week for over a year...phew! sounds like you're lovin' your new gym...awesome. (where did you end up finding a membership?)

nicole said...

I tried this in the gym in PA for the first time and loved it. And my bum seriously hurt for like 4 days-but that gets better each time too. Some people get the gel seats but I just think it pushes you to stand up a little more without one. Whenever I do go back to the gym it will top my list of classes that must be offered.