Friday, February 19, 2010

I Feel It Is My Duty

From my last post I have had many questions regarding my first item that I am giving up for Lent. It was to abstain from Chick Lit. Many people wrote comments inquiring about what Chick Lit was. So here I am to inform you, I feel it is my personal duty - obligation - as a voracious reader to inform all of my women blog readers.

"Chick lit is genre fiction within women's fiction which address issues of modern women often humorously and lightheartedly. Although it sometimes contains romantic elements it is not usually considered a subcategory of the romance novel genre because the emphasis on family and friend relationships in the book are often as important as her romantic relationships.

Jane Austin and the Bronte sisters are the originators of the genre although credited later after others followed suit. Both the Bridget Jones Diary movies and Clueless are all considered to be taken from Jane Austin books." All of this info has been compiled and edited from Wikipedia.

Additionally this website defines it quite well too.

For me it is defined by a book that totally relaxes my mind, involves boy meets girl, drama, and happy ending and I usually think it is in paperback form, although often if they become popular they will rerelease them in hardback for a second edition. Think Sophie Kinsella and the Shopaholic Series, although my favorite of hers is Can You Keep A Secret?

And for those who are already asking why I am giving it up for Lent, the answer is not because I feel morally opposed to it for any reason, but that I spend far to much time consumed by its addictive pages. For perspective I checked goodreads to see if they have a chick lit category and found that not only did they, but I have already read 16/20 top rated chick lit reads.

Now my first weekend has come. I am jonesing it already. Urgggh.

1 comment:

Beckie said...

Thanks for the explanation. So what are you reading this weekend?