Saturday, January 9, 2010

What's In A Decade

This tricky thing called time has snuck up on me again. A decade doesn't really seem that long to me. But when I think that ten years ago I graduated high school and in the interim I met and married the love of my life, graduated from college, had four children, moved ten times, and purchased two homes it starts to feel like it must be a long time because that is a lot to do. My greatest joys have been my family and the small moments. Even as I write this I paused to change a poopy diaper. As I finished Kody jumped up and ran in circles so excited was he to be half naked in just his diaper. And I laughed knowing that his simple pleasures are my greatest happiness.

My goals throughout the years have been chronicled as I witnessed another friend, Mendy, and her husband doing this many years ago. My goals have included being a better student, having a better relationship with my mom, improving my finances, writing in my journal at least 52 times in a year, reading my church lessons, attending the temple monthly, being less judgmental and thinking of five good things for every negative thought, less yelling at my kids, starting a weekly date night with Travis, memorizing scriptures, praying with more sincerity, giving of my time and money more freely, and of course the dreaded weight/health goals which seems to reoccur each year.

This year I have decided to pick two spiritual goals and two physical goals. As I ponder what will have the most value I have been struck speechless by the dedication and devotion my seven year old has already shown in picking her own goals too. Isabella inspires me and at age seven is more wise and beautiful than I have ever been. When I think of my life in another decade I feel all sentimental, because Bella will be preparing for college, my babies will be grown with Kody being twelve and already in YM/YW. I know that the goals I pick for this year will only be another tread in the stairs of my life. But I know that if I can be a better person through these goals that being a better mother will only naturally follow and that is what is most important to me right now.

Here's to goals and another decade of precious moments and time warp.

2 comments:

Adams said...

I know that you are younger than me but I think it's the age. Somewhere close to 30 I see more and more of us really start to get it...just what is really important.
I really enjoyed this post, Mary.

Unknown said...

Very well said. The days sure seem long and the years short, don't they? Here's to new goals!

~Dahlia