Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sometimes You Just Get Lucky

Being the control freak kind of person I am, when something goes right I really love to take credit for it. And having Travis as a husband is one of those things. I like to tell people how I knew right away he was who I wanted to marry because I know people and I knew he would be a good match for me. But the older I get the more I realize that there is that element of luck and God's mighty hand intervening that brings two people into one another's lives. After that I can take all the credit I suppose but I sure feel lucky to have been able to meet Travis initially.

Our story of is one of tumult, drama (mainly on my part), and a long dating period (mainly on Travis's part). I met Travis in beginning of July of 1999 while at Ricks College. On my birthday July 27, 1999 we went out for our first official date since I was just turning 18. By the next day I was writing in my journal about "Travis, the most dreamy guy @ Ricks" and by then we were spending most days together at some point or another. By August I was writing in my journal about how much I loved him. By September we had broken up and by October I knew that we would be getting married and that I would just have to wait and do things on his time frame. By November 3, Travis had finally gone to the temple to do some major contemplating and come home apologizing and from there we started dating again. After a trip to Texas that Christmas to meet his family we both knew we would be getting married. And on Valentine's Day in 2000 Travis proposed to the backdrop of falling snow, the Taylor quad (the religion building), a waving American flag, and both of us in camo. By combining the things we love most he was making me the happiest girl ever. And then despite spending an entire summer apart in August of 2000 we were married in the D.C. Temple for time and all eternity.

Perhaps a lot of people would say their wedding day was the happiest day of their life, but for me it doesn't even come close. Most everyday since has been a happier day, and each time we enter a new phase of life we feel like now we are the happiest ever to only be surprised by our growing happiness. Sure I can still bring drama and tumult to our marriage, and still sometimes he can take forever to do things, but in the end we are both better people for having found one another. I think I may have gotten the better end of the stick as I think Travis is the epitome of perfection. Yet he never hesitates to tell me how amazing I am and how much he loves me and he never fails to show me that too by being perfectly patient with me. I know I'm a lot to handle but on this day above all others I am glad that Travis took the chance to try his luck on a girl like me proving that he is "Strong Enough to Be My Man". I love you Bear. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Sommer said...

That was very very sweet. Thank you for sharing your story, I never knew it.

candice said...

I must say, I have similar feelings. Every phase gets better and better. Granted, we had a rough first decade! I think you both are lucky to have each other too! We are grateful you found each other!