Thursday, July 24, 2008

Spurned to Think

This is a rebuttal to Nicole's Thoughtful Thursday entry. I started to comment and upon getting wordy decided it needed a blog of its own. See her blog for context.


As for my two cents, I have nothing but sympathy and sorrow for a group of girls who decide to get pregnant in high school together because when faced with the prospect of no future in college or even working, a dying - next to ghost town from what I understand, to have a group of friends all in the same place in life and situation may seem like the best idea. Although naive and not well thought out, I can understand the need to try and plan a future. And my heart hurts that for them this seemed like the best they could hope for.

It is then that I am filled with gratitude for all I have instead of my typical look at what I lacked growing up. I had a family that offered me ideas about what I could have and make for myself. They gave me a skill set so much stronger than I ever imagined, and they offered me a chance at college and leaving small town life to see if there was something else better for me. I feel joy that although I was a scared girl - from somewhere I got the courage I needed and left home for college in a different state with a different culture.

More than anything I have happiness in knowing what I know. Perhaps without the gospel truths grounding me in life, I too when faced with a hard future would pick something not as wise not even knowing it is lacking because of my limited experience and insight. Maybe their decision wasn't well thought out, and eventually they will probably learn about all the things that they should have known before making such a rash decision, but I harbor no hard feelings towards these girls. If anything I hope that they learn together that life is and can be more. Maybe they learn about their divinity and someone shares something with them that will forever change their outlook. I only hope happiness upon them because the road ahead will likely be hard and so to have someone cheering them on might just make a small difference.

As for the topic of feminism, I too feel passionately about this and so...stay tuned for tomorrow I will convey my thoughts as best as my incompetance with words will allow me to.

2 comments:

Biz said...

This topic just keeps popping up. I'm totally stoked to read what you write... to expound on what we have been earlier talking about.

As for the kids: They were probably thinking the same thing a young girl once thought when she decided to put a boogie on each drawer of her sister's dresser. It was never intended to make sense.

nicole said...

I love your response Mary. We are lucky indeed and I hope the best for those girls and their kids too.