Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Am White

Now I realize that this is a news flash to most of you. But this is something I knew but was still unprepared for. Yesterday with the promise of another sweltering day ahead of us, I got the kids in their swimsuits and sunblock and sent them out to play in the sprinklers. When the baby awoke I got him up also put sunblock on him since his skin is nigh on to translucent, made the kids lunch, and then took it all outside to have a picnic. I went out to eat with them wearing my capris and tee shirt.

I am semi tan, not very tan, because when I am really supposed to get exposed to the sun in a lounging manner. Yesterday though I yanked my capris up to my knees thinking that my fat calves if tan would at least look a little more slender in my skirts on Sundays. So I ate lunch with the kids and watched as afterwards they played for a bit. Wasn't very long perhaps an hour. But several hours later I realized my mistake. I had not put sunblock on me. And I was feeling and seeing it. The red burn on the insides of my knees to ankles region was now going from a red to slightly purple hue.

True to form they were scorching hot the rest of the evening and stinging despite my aloe application on the hour. I am very familiar with sunburn having been white my whole life, but for some reason I had a memory lapse yesterday. I have a feeling I won't be having any more of those for a while on this subject anyway.

4 comments:

Mindee Graver said...

Why can't we all be like Bethanee?? ;) Hows the burn doing now??

Biz said...

Sunburnt legs are the WORST. They sting for days. I, however, am the brownest I've been in probably almost any summer I've been out here for.

Stacy said...

Oh k here is my trick on sunburns. If you get into a realy hot bath (yes i said hot) it will sting only for a min. but then when you get out all the sting will be gone. I got sunburned so bad last month And I got into a hot bath and it worked great for me. Try it and let me know if it worked for you.

whitney allison said...

I'm having post waterslide blistering sunburn flashbacks. Yikes.