Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fighting With the Joneses; Fighting With Me

If this post makes you think less of me, act like you've never read it:

Lately a lot of thoughts have been circling round my mind and all of them having to do with money. Am I obsessed? I think I could honestly say yes.

My first car was a $250 multicolored blue '86 Dodge Omni in college.
The car I am considering buying now a '07 Honda Civic.

My first house cost $132,000.
My house now cost, well let's just say considerably more.

Our income when we bought our first house was $36,000/yr.
Our income now, lets just say a little more.

Is this too much personal information? Possibly; but I use it to illustrate a point. I think it is safe to say that my standard of living is progressively getting better. But I also feel like there is pressure there too. I now live in a nice neighborhood and there are certain expectations. I don't think anyone here would appreciate me purchasing an '86 Dodge Omni with door handles that break off with some regularity, a muffler that could use fine tuning, and the battery's inability to hold a charge causing the need for semi-frequent jump starts. And quite frankly I don't have the desire to drive around drawing negative attention in that type of vehicle.

But I still have the desire to be a frugal, deal getting, penny pinching minx. And if that car runs great despite its aesthetic appearance, I still would want it. I still want to get the best possible deals on our family Christmas lists this year. I want to shout to everyone that this week I spent less than $101 on two week's worth of groceries for 6 people. I don't want to get a texting package when I don't think I need it, but am forced to consider it as my monthly bill is increasing due to others texting me, now making the texting plan a better deal after all. Can I tell people please do not text me? Call me, email me, facebook me - they are all free. And as my old phone is on the cusp of death do I go for a free standard flip phone that meets my needs or a PDA for free also, but where I must purchase a $20 multimedia package for a 2 year contract. When people look at me questioningly about the texting plan and the other very visible ways I try to save money I have to wonder - is it okay to explain that we live on half of our income due to taxes, saving for retirement, missions, and college for our kids, and donating the other half. And is it okay to be sad that I again will go another year without having my basement finished this year, because I refuse to go into debt at all minus my house. And is it okay to wonder if all this saving and frugality is sometimes pointless because of the total instability of our nation's financial future? And is my obsession with money of my own imposing helpful or hurtful?

Sometimes I just don't know.

6 comments:

Anja said...

I think most people who have common sense about money, think of all these same things. We are always looking for a deal and a way to save money. I also think keeping up with the jonses, has different levels...I guess. I mean, I'm pretty sure most of us don't go out and buy all the new latest fashion in clothes to keep up, but buying an item here or there is fine. Also, not having your house finished, should be on your terms, financially speaking, not...I WANT it done now....rather, it can wait until we can afford it. I think sometimes it's hard too because if we get caught up in it all, it's hard to realize what's going on until you take a step back and look at it differently. I do stress out a lot about money and I'm pretty sure it's normal :)

Tricia said...

it is totally okay :)

sjk said...

I love your blog!I dont know how you buy groceries for 2 weeks for 6 ppl with 100!pls tell me lol I went shopping this morning and spent 187 for 4 ppl for 2 weeks!Its totally ok to be frugal! :)

whitney allison said...

You're such a freak and I hate you after having read that post. Who isn't obsessed with money? The difference is, you're really super duper good with it.

Dahlia said...

You're smart. I love that you're not trying to keep up with the Joneses when you probably could BE the Joneses (I'm assuming here).

Jeremy just finished law school and isn't a real attorney until he takes the bar in February. I got the "oh, you'll have your million-dollar house soon" from a lady at the doctor's office. We don't want that. Simplicity is key.
You should see our furniture - I'll have to blog about our free table and folding chairs for our dining set. Ugh. So not a "lawyer's house".

You just keep finding those deals and do what keeps you OUT of debt. Plus, I think it's good for the kids to not be indulged in every materialistic thing. You're doing great - keep it up!

And way to go on the cheap groceries for two weeks - WAY TO GO!!!

We Three Queens said...

You make sense of everything. So many people think I'm silly using a plain of Trac Phone. It costs me about $40.00 every other month. The girls each have their own pre-pay phones (which they pay for themselves). They only have text because that's what they do most. It costs them $20.00 a month.

I was so excited last month. I went grocery shopping. I saved a little over $68.00 dollars on a huge cart of food. Shopping sales, using coupons, and for us, Aldi... all these make the difference.

While my income is significantly less than yours, I know my family has the necessities. We have a roof over our head. We have beds to sleep in. And even though I keep the thermostat set at 67 when we're home and awake (62 otherwise), we're still more comfortable than most.

All in all I must say life is truly good.