Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tiny Fissures Lead to Big Breaks

This narrative is yesterdays:

It was proving to be a rough day. I was overwhelmed by the acknowledgement that I have too many fair weather friends, a major disappointment from my mom, and the continuous meltdown and misbehaving of my two littlest boys, my youngest being in that terrible stage of two. My neighbor and good friend had watched me cry openly and hugged me of all things - something I am not good at but needed- and it made the crying all the worse. Travis of course came to the rescue and rushed home to grab all the kids and give me the afternoon/evening to myself. I was running errands those things that are next to impossible to do with kids in tow making major progress. I stopped home briefly to pick up dinner to eat on the run to a Visiting Teaching appointment. The dinner was breaded Thai shrimp with a sweet pepper and ginger sauce.

As I drove through Manheim traffic caused from the end of the work day I felt a burning yet cold sensation on my crouch. I looked down to see that the container housing the sweet pepper and ginger sauce had tipped and poured three ounces of gelatinous orange onto my lap. It was cool to the touch hence the cool but I quickly realized that although the fabric of my pants was straining chunks of the pepper enough residue was leaking through to provide the other sensation of burning. I quickly capped the sauce, opened the glove box for napkins only to find none. My day sucked - officially. I pulled out the drawer below the passenger seat still none. I started to feel like I was going to cry again when all of the sudden I burst out laughing. As I sat there legs clenched trying to keep the sauce from getting on the car seat I used my spare hand to try and scoop out the excess and toss it out the window. I eventually found some tissues that immediately dissolved in the liquid into white balls.

After scooping the excess I remembered I had wet wipes somewhere. I found the container only to discover they were dry. I thought this might be to my benefit making a more absorbent drying agent. I was wrong it was useless. After getting what I could I was determined that I would just have to let me black yoga capris and underwear soak in the extra. Filthy I know. But I was laughing. Laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Laughing that I could smell myself imminently a distinctly sweet Thai smell. I went visiting teaching where I drew no emphasis to it and proceeded directly to belly dancing class with a quick stop at the library. And throughout the night as I would get a whif of the scent I would burst into laughter. My tiny fissures of insanity occasionaly break into hysteria. Yesterday was one of those days. It reminds me of a day in highschool when I got kicked out of Physics class for breaking into the same machine gun sounding fits of hysterical laughter. But that is a story for another day.

3 comments:

Adams said...

Oh Jeez, Mary. I"m sorry. I wish I were close by to bring you some cookies or something. Or watch your kids so you and Travis could go out on a date. Anyone close by Mary and Travis reading this?.......She needs a break! Someone call and offer some love!!!!

Sommer said...

Oh man you certainly did have a rough day. I'm so impressed that Travis came home and let you go out on your own and I'm so impressed by you laughing instead of crying. It reminds me of the Sister Hinckley quote about how you either have to cry your way through life or laugh, and how she prefers to laugh because crying gives her a headache. Good for you for seeing the humor right away and not much later. I hope that you have a better day.

Carrie said...

I totally didn't notice that your crotch smelled like Thai at the visiting teaching appointment! LOL, but then again I wasn't anywhere near it!

Sorry that your day sucked so bad. I am finally getting caught up on my blog reading. We should go get pedicures. Nothing like someone rubbing the dry skin off your feet to make the world a better place, eh?