Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Mutterings

Of course a Mother's Day recap seems important. My weekend was great. Yes weekend because Travis is just that spectacular that I was spoiled the whole time. And I can't even lie because I am so spoiled everyday; Travis does so much for me. And that is when I get all funny feeling in my stomach and realize that I really have married the best man I know. If I were any other girl this funny feeling in my stomach is equated with happy tears, you know the ones all of you shed during chick flick movies. I just don't cry at them, but sometimes I get this funny feeling. I got this same feeling while watching The Blind Side the other night. It was beautiful but also made me realize how much more I should be doing for those around me. Not PTO, Manheim Women's Club, etc...although these things are good, I want to be changing lives doing more somehow.

Back to Mother's Day the highlights, I received tons of gifts, burnt music CD's from a neighbor, great music too, potted herbs from another 'hood rat. Lots of cards and drawing from the kids. Favorite quotes from cards are "Thank you for being my real mom and not let anyone else be my mom," "Please relax today. You work so hard," "I will always take good care of you," "You always make me feel good," "My mom has taught me about Jesus Christ." Those last two sum up my highest goals of motherhood and to see them acknowledged makes me feel successful, if not yet perfect as a mother. I got to go on a scavenger hunt created by Bella, and was surprised when some of my beautiful little Primary children made me pictures and cards. Primary is the class for kids under 12 for our church. I just lead them in singing and therefore felt overjoyed to realize that I was impacting their life. Taking me back to The Blind Side movie again. This stuff is important. And last but not least, probably greatest of all was a Netbook from Travis. Man I was surprised and overwhelmed. And to spare you all the long details it will be summed up like this: I am not good at accepting gifts or surprises, especially those with significant value. I'm sure there is some repressed self esteem issues of not feeling worthy, and some sacrificial lamb issues of wanting to reallocate that money to my kids or the whole family. But Travis did it all in a way that made me happy to receive the gift willingly or at least as willingly as I am capable of at this point in my life.

This past weekend was crazy but fun. We had Funfest, 3 elementary schools from our district put on a carnival type event. My guess was attendance around 2000-3000. I was in charge of the games and it was a success. I loved hearing that everyone thought it was such a well executed event because I pride myself on being organized. Then Saturday morning we had a neighborhood yard sale. Made a little cash, but always spend at least half picking up other finds from around the neighborhood sales. Last year's best find a real Chanel purse for $10, this year's favorite find - a Ralph Lauren green and blue plaid down comforter with matching blue sheet set for Wyatt's bed for $7. Upside of living in an upper middle class neighborhood is picking up the truly great finds for cheap from our yard sales.

Also after being spotlighted in Primary yesterday I realized some things: one I want to make an official bucket list. It's a common concept. At one point I had one, but with our stolen laptop went the list. And as I have a goal to by the end of 2011 have visited all 50 states that will be the first item. The second is I really need to write my book. It's been in my head and heart and various levels of development for five years. It may suck, it may never reach publication, but I want to do it anyway.

And that is what is circling in my brain early this Monday morning. How 'bout you?

1 comment:

Emmalee said...

I can't wait to read your book!!!! I love reading your blog, it's never boring and I love how everything just flows.