Friday, December 18, 2009

Holiday Wisdom

Today I had a visit with the Lady Dr. Another year come and gone and in the interest of no more children I have to do a quick stop in with her for a physical and pap smear to get more of my contraceptive medicine of choice. With that all set and taken care of she looks at me and says "Can we talk about your weight?"

"Sure" although there is a part of me cringing inside. She says when you first came here a year and a half ago you weighed four pounds less. My goodness who knew four pounds would initiate a conversation of this proportion. She says four pounds isn't a lot but if you start gaining it here and there it starts to add up. Well obviously. And what she says is nothing I don't already know and think.

But then she drives her point sufficiently home by adding and a year and a half ago when you weighed four pounds less you had a new baby, 6 months. Alright mental picture is sufficiently clear - I'm pudgy the whale. She asks, "Have you lost any of the baby weight?" Well no not really, but the truth is yes I mean at one point, nine months prego, I was tipping the scales at twelve pounds heavier than I am now. But after the initial 8 pounds of baby and a couple of accompanying fluid I guess the answer is indeed no I have not. Crap! How'd I miss that.

And she proceeds to question me about my eating habits, exercising routine, and lifestyle. In the end she finishes up with a healthy summary of the situation. Stop eating late in the evenings, take a couple extra laps on your stairs each time you scale them during the day, and park at the back end of parking lots, and open door manually instead of going through the automated ones.

Man she just dumped on my holiday happiness. I love Christmas, the family, the friends, and most importantly the eating. Already I am worried does this mean I should start watching what I eat starting today, the week before Christmas. Because that is where we are at, one week till Christmas. And this is when the wisdom hit me. Perhaps next year I will be going to the Lady Dr. one week after Christmas instead of one week before. So that when she wants to talk about weight loss strategies I'm totally on board. Because truth be told after finishing at the doctor's office I go to take Travis back to the office - he was watching the boys in the waiting room - and he is telling me about this huge cookie tray some subcontractor had brought in.

It was huge and yummy. And I had a chocolate cookie, a chocolate chip cookie, and four chocolate covered pretzels- yeah the first one was so good I stole the rest of those babies. It is at this point that I may have sputtered to Travis over my cookie filled mouth "Screw the Dr." But in the interest of watching calories a nasty piece of chocolate candy that I didn't like I hoisted onto Travis instead of finishing.

It's all about the baby steps right???

P.S. This is largely satirical. I am not really looking for the "you look great, Mary" or similar sentiments. I am holding to the holiday wisdom from here on out though. Seriously Dr. visit after the holidays.

9 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Amen, sista! This has been me debating for the last couple days in my mind, "should I forgo the diet and just go hog wild on all of the Christmas goodies. Christmas only comes once a year. OR. . . should I just try to mantain and be a little more carefull about what I eat?" ugg, I hate dealing with weight issues!
BTW-- I'm going hog wild if you're wondering.

Unused Account said...

I think it's really interesting that she feels concern about a 4 lb weight-gain. I get it, that over 5 years that would equal 20 lbs...but seriously, is that a big deal? I don't really think so. Just my take on it.

And, of coursem it's good to do the things she suggested, but I don't think that means you dodging the cookie tray. I mean seriosuly...it's Christmas. I say pig out all you want and also park far away from the store.

jaime said...

I'm totally with them!!! Go for the cookie tray and don't look back till Jan 1st... or maybe the 2nd... New Year's day is for napping and football food. :)

I'll join you on the treadmill in Jan! :)

Adams said...

Oh Mary, as usual, you have me cracking up! And I don't even want to think about what she would say to me....ummm....I have gained much more than your 4 pounds!
I loved your Christmas card, by the way. The picture of you and Travis is really cute!

We Three Queens said...

Mary... I know I've told you before how much I love you, however, I must tell you it again. I LOVE YOU!!! You crack me up. You go girl. Enjoy that cookie. Have fun tasting those sweet morsels cross your lips. As long as you're good with yourself... and you and Travis keep the mattress dancing going, have whatever you want and enjoy it! Next time offer your Dr. a cookie and tell her to jump off. If I looked as hot as you I'd be thrilled.

candice said...

THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU!!! Along with all the other "amens" I'll add mine! Sure, you could be moping, feel depressed about yourself, etc. You are a master at turning what could be a self esteem crusher into humor we can all relate to! You are not an emotional eater... you just LOVE food, passionately! Is that so bad? It could be a vice much worse!!

Sommer said...

I second everyone's comments, Mary you are awesome and I look up to you so much!

nicole said...

oh crap- you just reminded me I have to go to the Dr in four days(two days before Christmas)- and I know I've gained more than I should have thus far into the pregnancy AND I started this at least thirty lbs heavier than my other pregnancies.(yep-i'm halfway thru and already at or past my delivery weight of my other babies). I do not want to talk about how many cookies/candy I've had in the past week. Crap Crap Crap-maybe I should just reschedule.

The Doctors Wife said...

I am so in the same boat. I have not lost my babies (I haven't lost it from any of my babies)weight yet. I totally think you should wait until after christmas though before you change your eating habits. There are far too many temptations so there is no point in setting yourself up for failure. At least that is what I'm telling myself to make me feel better.