Friday, April 4, 2008

Things That Make You Go Hmm.

I don't know how many of you saw Oprah yesterday. Typically I am not a fan of hers, but it happens to be the time I sit down to feed the baby, so if none of the kids are awake from their naps yet, I'll see what she has on. Yesterday it was the first pregnant man or so was their claim. I had seen promos earlier in the week and I just thought it would be something not quite as crazy as it sounded.

Upon tuning in though it was crazy. I am a person who has had four children, yet I couldn't quite wrap my head around this. There was this man Thomas, who used to be a girl, Teresa-I think, who is transgender. Oprah has been doing a lot on this, this year. Anyway was born one sex felt like another on the inside and so therefore changed over. So Thomas got rid of his breasts, but kept that va-jay jay because he knew he wanted his own biological child one day. Took testosterone to grow facial hair, muscles, and a mini pee pee.

His wife helps him to artificially inseminate himself and ergo we have the first pregnant man. Good for me that Mom was gone, because had I watched it with her I know that she would have been commenting left and right. I could only watch and listen. I didn't then nor have I now passed judgement on these people, their whole life situation, or this pregnancy.

Yet today I am still thinking about it and all I can think is life as I know it has changed. Everything I once believed to be "normal" doesn't exist. If I can't count on the biological reprodution of a human to stay constant, I don't know that anything will. Seriously how to do I catergorize this information in my brain, where do I store it?

I am filled with questions that I can't even begin to think of.

3 comments:

Anja said...

I think I saw a preview for this too but decided to skip watching it, too weird for me...but interesting and I agree with you, what can we count on to be normal anymore? Our kids are going to have a different view of "normal" than we ever had!

whitney allison said...

It is pretty mind boggling especially when you throw in the concepts that a)gender is eternal and b)God is perfect (therefore I really don't think he "accidentally" made you a girl). I'm sure that his/her feelings seem very real to him/her. I just don't get it and quite frankly I'm glad I don't. That would suck.

Staigerfamily said...

Yeah--this is so weird. I read about it and saw pictures of the guy a little while ago (thanks to google news) and was so . . . uhm. . I don't know how to describe it. It sure is crazy to think about. And he/she looks wierd with the facial hair and no breasts, but the pregnant belly... Crazy.