Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Temple

Tonight, or this afternoon, Travis and I are going to the temple. I am so excited. I love to go to the temple and our monthly trip is a highlight for me and Thursday date nights. This is something we have been doing for three or four years now. In Orem/Provo sometimes I just wanted to go to dinner instead of the temple, a small sacrifice really. But now that I am here, I crave the temple and the reverie, but it is a big sacrifice. Last month I put some thought into it and came up with this. It takes us 7 hours to go to the temple, more than a half tank of gas, and about $70 total, which we are working on cutting back.
Two hours down starting at three in the afternoon and fighting to get there just ahead of all the crazy traffic. Typically just missing the first session and so waiting a half hour to get into the next one. Then two hours in and two more hours home, with a stop at a fast food joint at nine o'clock at night so we don't starve to death. And the whole rigamaroo of changing on the way in and out. The time alone is $35 in babysitting. Then on Travis's 30 mpg car just shy of $20 of gas. Then anywhere between $10-15 for our fast food.

I'll tell you what...that is a sacrifice. Because we all know me and I am stingy with my money. But it is worth it. The time, the travel, the cost. It may not be much going once a month, but it feels good. And it may not be like the stories you read about in the Ensign where they travel twenty plus hours by bus standing up and saving for one trip in their lifetime, but for me it is enough for now. I can't imagine doing it much more. But I can't complain either, because the blessings are immeasurable.

5 comments:

Anja said...

I miss that temple! But let me tell you, you are doing better than me! I usually end up going with my g/f's rather than my own husband, and at that, it's been WAY too long since I've been. I don't even have an excuse b/c we have a temple here in Medford about 10 minutes away!

whitney allison said...

Holy crap! I never made $35 when I babysat, talk about inflation. Sorry friend, quite the sacrifice. You're an inspiration to us all...hahaha, no but seriously.

Candace said...

Way to go Mary!! you sound like a mastercard commercial.
babysitting...$35
gas....$20
dinner...$15
going to the temple to recieve blessings for eternity....priceless
you are awesome..:)

Beckie said...

I am so, so, so jealous! I haven't been to the temple with my husband for almost one whole year. He has been gone since September and he has been in various states for training since May 12, 2007. You and Travis are so lucky and so cute too!

The Doctors Wife said...

I'm ashamed of myself. I live 20 minutes from the Temple here. Haven't been yet (granted there is no dress rental and I haven't fit in my dress for the last 8 months)I finally bought a new dress that I can fit into prego or not. I need to do better. Kudos to you two.