Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Seriously...

Let me tell you about blessings. I have lots of them. I know this. I like to think that when I pray I express my gratitude for all of these blessings. Occasionally I have heard people in testimony meeting or randomly tell how they prayed for hours thanking Heavenly Father for all of their blessings specificially, Enos like for sure. I have never quite understood this, because in all of my gratitude prayers the record when purposely trying to name each thing is like twenty minutes of just naming stuff.

Well this week I thought of something I have never mentioned, but will mention from now on. It is my voice. I had a sore throat a couple days ago. It went away pretty quickly, but have had laryngitis since. I don't know how you spell that. I can't talk. Really the more air I push out for volume turns to a higher pitch squeek. Plus it just hurts. And now two full days of it has me just annoyed. I can't talk to my kids unless I am like a foot away from them. No calling them to the table or to come in. When my husband calls on the phone during the day he can never hear me, and we give up unless it is super important.

So maybe I am just blind to how many blessings I truly have. Because I have been taking this for granted for 26 years. Who knew. I guess it is covered in the general good health thank you, but from now on I may just mention it specifically as well.

2 comments:

Biz said...

I once knew a girl who had throat surgery on her vocal cords specifically. As indicative to post-op procedure, she couldn't speak for a month. NOT wasn't suppose to speak. She couldn't. The doctor told her the soonest he'd heard of anyone getting their voice back was 17 days... a smidge over two weeks. Every morning she would wake up and try to say her name. She was sad. She was frustrated. She was depressed, literally. She was so frustrated at college, she left after three weeks and flew home to recover there for the duration of the stint. Then at the beginning of the fourth week, she woke up and squeaked out, "Elizabeth." She has been talking ever since. She knows EXACTLY how you feel.

nicole said...

Uh you better make sure you don't have mono, honey(hey I've been kissing the same person for seven plus years too and it happened to me) cuz thats all sounding a little too familiar. A week ago I was nearly crying because my 2 oldest had kept going out into the field behind our house and I had no voice to call them back so I had to walk out there and get them. Plus I couldn't swallow and that just sucks. Do you have ugly white junk on your tonsils? Are your glands all swollen? If it lasts more than a week check it out-I'm tellin ya.
Elizabeth-I didn't know you went through that.