Sunday, November 1, 2009

Home

This past week I went back home to let my mom watch the kids for a bit. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of this place, the fall colors, and the memories that flooded my senses. I remembered hours of laying on the sunporch attempting to get a tan, after dinner basketball games, playing in the forests, and discovering an old junkyard and the treasures that a five year old's fingers found.I remember when this shed was brought out to our house shortly before the boat arrived that was meant to fill it. I have a scar barely visible on the back of my left knee from the rooster who lived in the chicken house behind this shed.I remember when Travis and I burned down the chicken house two years ago and buried the remains with a backhoe. I remember raking endless piles of leaves, and swinging from the rope swing into them. I remember having to pick up the sticks throughout our yard after a wind storm because my parents always wanted our house and yard to look nice.
I remember Autumns so beautiful I wrote in my journal that this would be the thing I missed most when I went to college. I remember my mom taking my brother out to the MTC and his two high school buddies watching my sister, two brothers, and I for a week. I remember the buddy, AJ, left his car parked on the hill and it rolled down the hill, crashed through the fence and fell into the creek. I remember skipping school that week and going to the batting cages to play ball, and my little brother, James, getting a spider bite on his lip that made it swell to four times its normal size.
I remember many hours standing over the burn pit watching for the flame to die entirely before leaving it so we didn't start a forest fire, and I remember a time or two when we did start one and scrambling to put them out. I remember many ward activities at our house, countless open houses, and family gatherings. And I remember being awakened by a fireman in the middle of the night because we had a chimney fire and they had come and were shocked to find me sleeping right through the fire alarm.
I remember so much about this house, this yard, but most of all I remember it is home. And it doesn't matter that I'm almost thirty, have been away for eleven years, married for nine, have four kids of my own, and two houses of my own when I think of home more often than not I am thinking of this place.

8 comments:

We Three Queens said...

Very nice entry. You have a special way of reminding us of what is most important in life.

Staigerfamily said...

Very well said. I love, love, love the beautiful pictures!!

I have kind of the opposite experience. I just told Jonathan the other day that now when I think of home it is the house we are currently living in--not a childhood home (but then I moved around quite a bit). No matter where it is, I love that feeling of "home".

Sommer said...

I agree with Brenda, I love reading your blog posts! What gorgeous pictures, and wonderful memories.

Anja said...

makes me miss PA...

Candace said...

I love that home too! I spent alot of time in that home and sometimes I felt like it was my
2nd home. Thanks for this post. It's good to see some thing from home and remember the good times. Like Anja it makes me miss PA.

Adams said...

You have a wonderful way of writing...I know you have to have an imagination to go with it....have you ever thought of writing a book?

Jenny said...

That sounds wonderful. Reading that reminds me of how much I want that for my own children.

Biz said...

I STINKING LOVE IT!!