Sunday, October 18, 2009

And That's What I Learned

This is long:

Many of you didn't know and I didn't really broadcast it but from early this summer I have had a part time job. Most of the work I did from home, but one day a week I would be gone all day long doing inspections. I was a commercial property inspector. This wasn't something I was passionate about. But I ended up here and this is how.

There are days as a mother I miss working. I miss adult interaction. I miss using my brain. I miss being mentally challenged. I miss being appropriately recognized for good work and I miss not always being blamed when anything in the world goes wrong. At the end of last school year I started to think about the future. I would have two kids in school this year. I didn't know what I would do. I knew I would be bored. I had toyed with the idea of some part time work. It was around this time I happened to be sitting in the temple. Along happens a women who is moving and she is looking for someone to take over her job. She asks me if I am interested and I am so I call her and we discuss things.

After a rather quick, in less than two week, process I submit a resume, have a telephone interview, am offered the job, am sent a compensation letter and contract, and am started on training. I am a little dazed by how my life has gone from being stay at home mom to part time working women. But I am nothing if not occasionally impetuous.

After several months I submitted my resignation. For all intents and purposes I thought I was done working despite my last day being October 31 technically. But as things are something came up and I have one more day of inspections ahead of me and about ten more hours of work after that.

What I loved about working was that without the kids I am a person again free from having conversations that revolve around only my kids, that occasionally I still will get hit on by men, that people recognize a more broad aspect of my talent and skills, and that two incomes really is quite spectacular.

What I realized I loved even more was being home every moment, seeing the kids wake up sometimes filled with sleepy eyes and crazy hair. I love tight squeezing hugs and their first and last words of the day being Mom as I go wake them up and I love you Mom as I put them to bed at night. I love being the first on the scene when the school calls because my kindergartener may have had an accident while playing on the playground. I love all the cuddles and unexpected kisses. I love watching them learn something new and being the person to teach them that something new. I love how easily they forgive mistakes and how they like to be happy. I love being a mom way more than I ever expected or knew I did.

And most of all I realized I am so lucky to have a husband who provides for our family and I get to chose what I do. And I chose to stay home and do a whole lot of nothing with my kids.

4 comments:

Adams said...

Thank you Mary for reminding me of a few things...and still thinking of a few more....

Sommer said...

What a good post... i've said this before but I love how beautifully you put things.

Laura Lynn said...

A whole lot of nothing means a whole lot of something!

Laura Lynn said...

Mare - will you please let me know who is in Blair's class? I am finally having a birthday party for her with friends! Thanks!