Monday, October 31, 2022

Week 8 (I Think)

Time really does fly! It feels like yesterday that I was arriving in the field and it's already been a week. I met my trainer, Elder Watson, and found we would be opening a new area and house in Tijuco Preto, which is part of the city of São Carlos. What I did not realize at the time was that meant I would be arriving to a house with 2 mattresses and a bed...total. Thankfully, many of the appliances arrived on Friday and we have had the opportunity to run to the store to get groceries. It was very day to day there for a bit.

The people of Brazil are great, but I have no clue what they are saying. I speak fine and they understand me, but as soon as someone else's mouth opens, it's all Greek to me. I know it comes with time though, and Im already seeing some improvement, but it still is slightly disheartening to basically be deaf to everyone except my trainer.
We get fed lunch as our primary meal and usually it involves rice and beans. At this point, I'm past enjoying it, but also past being dissatisfied with it. I will never complain about more food on the plate. 
I would say the kookiest thing to happen this week was at lunch the other day. We arrived and found that the entire Elder's Quorum Presidency was there, despite it not being their house, as well as another man we hadn't met. After we ate, they simply stood up, went to a different room and started playing 80's rock music without saying a word. We were just awkwardly sitting there a few minutes before we found someone to give a message to and get out. We also later found out the guy we didn't know in the group was the Stake President, so we have simply been left with more questions about the situation than before.
I'm settling well, but am perpetually hungry and a bit tired. I'm sure as the weeks pass it will either disappear or I will learn to live with it though.
We have had the opportunity to teach at least one appointment a day since arriving, and we even got a family to come to sacrament meetings, which was hype. The work is progressing and it feels awesome. At times, our efforts feel a bit ineffective, but no sooner do I have the though than someone lets us in the door. God really does bless His missionaries.
Much love,
Elder Whiting


No comments: