Saturday, July 24, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

It all started with an email asking if we were all free Thursday night? After everyone coordinating schedules it was planned for 8:30. Lindsay was the ring leader and she was keeping the surprise a secret from all of us. It wasn't the first time something like this has happened. I have been summoned to late night hot tub councils, and back yard meetings, and so although I was dying to know what we were doing I waited somewhat patiently.
I was told to wait till 8:30 for my call to come to Lindsay's house. After the call I was told to grab my camera and look in my mailbox. There I received my first gift and clue to my surprise birthday scavenger hunt. The "surprise" meeting was only a surprise to me. I followed the clues all over the neighborhood criss crossing back and forth stopping at friends' homes to pick up my other clues and gifts.

Along the way I scored awesome loot like Team Jacob stuff, glitter body spray, a little flashlight, a bookmark, travel razors, and a Sesame Street t-shirt that says "It's all good in the HOOD". Each one had an underlaying joke or common thread to some neighbor experience and I was laughing all along the way.

The last clue led me to Lindsay's house where there awaited the girls, singing to me, and with cake, and my "real presents". I got cupcake frosting lip gloss, nail polish, drip dry or the equivalent, and two sets of necklaces and matching earrings.

In the end we sat and chatted and played my brand new "New Moon" card game. Where Lindsay really rocked it out and scored the win and impressed me by guessing Mentzer's and my dream cars. I love these girls.

And this morning when I woke up and saw this from last night, I was just as happy all over again. I love surprises, I am really big on birthdays, and my BFF's are the best. Even without all the stuff I know that we will laugh every time we are together till someone almost pees themselves. And last night our ending photo shoot did just that. But those pictures are for our own secret neighborhood archive. Oh the blackmail that could come from that vault of secrets.

4 comments:

Emmalee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Hey I've been trying to get a hold of you. Your super busy or i have the wrong number so give me a call when you get a chance.

Lindsay said...

This was so much fun! Hope your actual birthday is also a great time. I'll be thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a blast! Happy Birthday, Mary!

Sommer said...

Wow your friends seem like the best!!! How fun and happy belated birthday!