Saturday, September 24, 2022

Week 2 - Elder Whiting

Life is a blur. It feels as if just as quickly as online MTC has started, it is coming to an end. I will say, however, that I am a bit forlorn about it all, because this week the district really bonded in a way that was something to behold. We were especially sad about the fact that because only some of us have our visas, we will be split when we arrive in the Brazil MTC. Some Elders even jokingly put together a slideshow presentation about why Distrito 37F should stay together. We know the Lord has a plan for us though, and we trust he will guide us to better things than what we ourselves can build. 

I leave the States Monday afternoon, and as that time moves closer, my feelings about it not only get stronger, they also alternate more rapidly. One second I'm over the moon about being in Brazil, and the next I am feeling deep sadness at the thought of leaving my life here behind. And it's not any easier for my family, because they are mostly just feeling sadness - or at least my mom is, I am not sure about the others. While we were packing my stuff away and redistributing the things I didn't want between the family, my dad said, and I quote, "You leaving feels like Christmas!" So at least I know I have their total support in my departure to Brazil.
My Portuguese is coming along as nicely as can be expected. I think I can confidently say that it's about where my Spanish was after 3 years of classes. Our teachers decided the district would graduate from the basic core to the intermediate core a week early, which was met with mixed enthusiasm. For reference, the basic core is about 10 pages over the course of 2 weeks of "God is our loving Heavenly Father" and "The Book of Mormon is the word of God," whereas Intermediate Core is a self guided program that is paced so that we are familiarized with a 200 page document, which I affectionately refer to as the "Portuguese Bible'', alongside 2,500 words, 500 phrases, and 9 memorized scripture - all to be completed in 4 weeks. I don't doubt it's possible, it's just extremely daunting.
I think one of the greatest spiritual takeaways I have had this week has been how the Lord is setting us up for success when we follow his promptings. About 2 months ago, I started watching The Chosen. I remember after watching the first two seasons I had the distinct impression to pivot my personal scripture study from the Book of Mormon to the New Testament. Reading about the life of Christ was great, but there wasn't much new ground covered spiritually. Imagine my surprise when the Lord put me on pace to start reading Acts right when my mission started. Reading about the mission of his disciples is truly inspiring and I feel edified each day as I learn about their commitment to His gospel. What's more, when I restarted reading the Book of Mormon, alongside the New Testament, I picked up in Helaman, during Nephi's ministry. I could not have picked a better combination of scriptures for this period of my life if I tried. And all this because I accepted one small prompting a couple months ago. It's a strong testament not only of God's omnipotence and whatnot, but also His love for each of us that He wields it not for His own benefit, but to bless our lives in ways we could not even fathom on our own. What a joy to wear His name on my chest as I go about doing His work!
As I struggle to come to terms with my own joy and sadness, knowing the Lord has a plan for me is a great comfort. I know that what He has for me in Brazil is going to be awesome, and I can't wait to ramble about it again next week!
Tchau,
Elder Whiting

No comments: