Saturday, October 25, 2014

It's Hard

Foster Care isn't for everyone.  It's not for most people.  I'm not sure it's for me.  It is something I truly feel like I am inspired to do.  In my most logical, reasonable moments I think I am good at it and a good fit for it.  But in my worrisome mothering moments and emotional state - I worry and wonder that someone else could do it better, that I'm not doing it right, that I'm further traumatizing these kids who have already suffered so much at the hands of adults.

There is so much about the "system" that makes me batty.  If you had a day, I'd tell you all about it.  I'll spare you here.  That being said...I've learned so much - good and bad about myself, about humanity, everything in general.  My kids have gained so much from doing it and I really do believe in people helping people whenever they can.  I have felt enriched by each child who has entered our home, whether for a day or two years. 

As part of the "system", they host Resource Parent Events quarterly.  They always end up being lovely.  It's a guaranteed, good family fun day.  The fall is an event at Oregon Dairy to pick pumpkins, take hay rides, go through corn mazes, a free dinner, and games galore.  Thanks to everyone who helps with these.




1 comment:

Adams said...

Mary, I so wish we lived closer. I would love that "day" for you to tell me all about it. We have our last meeting on Monday before they go to the board to find a match for our family. Thank you for being honest in this post.